anyone know anything about the seizure medicine keppra? is it a good med? how about side effects?

my son's neuro just put him on keppra and she told us that it could make him aggresive and mean?

khourie6

Asked by khourie6 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Health

• My brother is epileptic and does really well with depakote (sp?)
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 5:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my younger sister is on keppra and I haven't noticed any side effects or been told by anyone else in my family about her having any side effects other than extreme exhaustion. She sleeps all the time because it makes her so tired.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's a good one to start out with because it has comparatively mild side effects, (usually an adjustment period when they go on it or come off it with about 4 weeks or aggression/ lack of impulse control etc)... Also because it's a good companion drug if they end up needing to add something else. Keppra, Lamictal and Zonegran are all pretty "mild" as far as seizure meds go. Depakote, Topamax, Neurontin etc were MUCH harder on my son as far as side effects.
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Has your neuro ever suggested Phenobarbital? My son was on Phenobarb and it was great .
    renzmom06

Answer by renzmom06 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010