16 year olds and cell phones

Would you check their text messages or phone calls and monitor what all they are doing?

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 5:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it's okay to check their cell phone. They need to understand that the phone...just like e-mail, is a privilege, and that it's my responsibility to monitor them until they have they experience & maturity to be entirely responsible on their own. Even good/smart kids can make poor decisions, or be influenced by people that we may not be aware of in their lives. So definitely I have the right to do it, & they know that upfront.

On the other hand, I wouldn't just do it regularly. I might periodically make a random unannounced check, to make sure they aren't texting during classtimes, or talking to people they shouldn't be talking to & I might check up if they're not getting their schoolwork done or if something happens to make me feel that it's time to check up on things. I try to respect their privacy at the same time making it clear that they aren't adults, & until they are, I'm responsible for them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I raised 4 kids without cell phones. Did just fine without them. My youngest 2 are 18 yrs old. They don't have cell phones and see no need for them at this point either.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No. Having a cell phone comes with trust and responsibility. My children will not have cell phones until they are working and can pay for them! If you do not trust your child with his cell phone then stop paying for it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We don't have cellphones... luxury... my 16 & 17 year olds are no worse for wear because they don't have them.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No I wouldn't but my 16 year old still hasn't earned the right to have a cell phone!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Mine didn't get cells until they were leaving for college. No I would never check the messages of an 18 yr old unless I felt they were in danger.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• depends on the situation
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 5:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I check randomly.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 6:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• yup and everything else too.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes I check randomly, same with everything else. There is no such thing as privacy in my home when it comes to their safety is how I see it, I'm not being nosy but I do need to know who they are talking too and what they are doing to make sure I'm guiding them in the right direction.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010