Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Can you file a lawsuit against your local police department? (they dont ahve a catagory for this, this is a seriouse question as well) adult content

In August of 2208 I was sexually assaulted, they seemed to not give a damn about it. They did not much about the case that I had filed. At the time I was using some drugs. The detective assumed that I was a prostitute. She wouldn't answer my calls or return them. Then one day I get a call saying he is dead..... She kept trying to tell me my husband did it. She kept harassing my husband though and getting his DNA and stuff as well.


Asked by agriffinmom4 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 18 (4,874 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I agree with Lori. You can, but you should be fully prepared for every deep dark no no in your closet to be spilled into public record. Everything you keep to yourself will be brought up and it will be public knowledge. That is something you have to face and decide if there is anything that will totally discredit your case.

    Also understand that suing for money doesn't fix the problem... Make it clear you want changes within the department not money. Cause they will gladly throw some dollars at you just to shut you up and continue skimping on their job. I do not know the full details but like Lori said if you are upset because you feel they didn't give you enough attention you are gonna run into a hard time. As long as they did what is required even if it is the bare min they will get away with it.

    Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • You can sue, but be prepared for some mudslinging! The defense attorney will use your drug use to discredit your claims, and tie your current financial situation in being your motivation for the law $uit! You will be expected to have incredibly sharp recall on the most minute details, and they will try to trip you up, and use your original claim against you.

    If your alleged attacker is dead, what are you hoping to gain by the law suit? Police misconduct is tough to prove. If your biggest beef is they didn't make your case first priority, you're wasting your time. If the paperwork was filed properly, and those officers assigned to your case did everything they were legally required to do, and within station policy, there isn't much more you can do.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 6:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • people file lawsuits against cops all the time, but you better have all your facts straight and real evidence of some wrong doing... talk to a lawyer if you feel that strongly about it. sorry you had to go through that :(

    Answer by DreainCO at 5:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Definitely talk to a lawyer. It's possible to sue them, but it's not easy to win. However, the police hate bad publicity, so they'll usually cooperate.

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • You can but you have to find your own lawyer or represent your self. Not smart against cops though. Good luck.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Yes you can, the chalange is finding a good lawyer to take it.

    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Get a lawyer ... and I think you sue the city, not the police department directly.

    Answer by Gal51 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • I think if this case is at the point that they are trying to connect your DH to the murder of your attacker, your first priority should be to seek the advise of an attorney to protect his rights and then secondly to represent your case (if you have one - an attorney should be able to let you know).


    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Talk to a lawyer. They'll help you out the most.

    Answer by Oktobre at 7:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010