Yellow and stinky pee in 2 year old?

He only drinks water and milk. He pee used to be clear like it's supposed to be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe a UTI, has he been drinking enough water?
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 5:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It sounds like he might be dehydrated. When you don't drink enough fluid, especially water, your urine is more concentrated, and has a stronger odor. If you're sure that he's drinking enough, you might want to take him to the doctor, otherwise, I'd try to get him to drink more fluid!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He only drinks like 8 to 16 oz a day of water and only 8 oz of milk. He just doesn't drink much.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• How can I get him to drink more? He always has access to his cup.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Is he going more frequently but in lesser amounts? Does he act like it hurts or burns when he urinates? If yes to either one I would call my Dr. for an appt. Otherwise I would be increasing his water intake. Dehydration itself can lead to UTI's.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He definitely needs to drink more! According to the Institute of Medicine, a child between the ages of one and three needs about 1.3 liters of water a day. Keep in mind that total water intake reflects the sum of plain drinking water and the water content of all foods and beverages consumed during the day.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Pick up the cup and say Lets take a drink...play a game with it if you need to.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would encourage him to drink more and make sure there is a lot of juicy fruits and veggies in his diet if he'd not a big drinker. Oranges, tomatoes, peaches, watermelon, peas, green beans...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He's not in any pain. And he wears diapers so I really don't know how often he goes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• does it smell like a strong urine smell, or a gross smell. if it is strong, he is probably on the dehydrated side, in which case you need to make him drink. if it has a foul odor, it is probably a uti and he needs to be seen by the doc asap.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010