baby born 4 weeks early!!!

so i found out a few minutes ago that the doctor wants my daughter delivered Thursday which is almost four weeks before my due date due to her only weighing 4 pounds. I had prepared for a newborn so everything we purchased was for a average sized baby. since shes only four pounds what items should i buy in premie size and how much?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 5:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My daughter was born 4 weeks early. I got some premie clothes from a friend who had a boy. Try checking on Craigslist or FreeCycle.org and ask for premie clothes. And I never used the premie size diaper with her. She was almost 6 lbs at birth and dropped down to almost 5 lbs, and newborn size diapers worked just fine. Remember, the ultrasound "weight" that they are estimating can be off by quite a lot, really.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 5:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My oldest son was 4 weeks early. He wore the premie stuff for about 2 weeks, if that. I kicked myself for getting more then just a couple outfits.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i would make sure you have a good 2 months worth of premie diapers and atleast 15 premie onsies, , 5-10 sleapers,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When my neice was born preemie the nurses advised my sister to buy just a few things. You can always buy more if they grow slowly..but you're stuck with it once it's washed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i would just buy sleepers and onsies b.c its summer and hott.. and i had a premie of 3lbs and 1 oz. and it will be a while before they reach their actual size they r suppost to be... so i would plan for a couple of winter clothes in premie also. but make sure u still keep the newborn because you will need it sooner than you think!
    aangelmommie03

Answer by aangelmommie03 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• why r they taking her early she needs that time to get bigger. my son wa two weeks early and was in preemies for the first three weeks buy a 3-4 outfits more if you don't have washer and dryer at home. they grow quickly
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my twins were 6 weeks early and weighed 4lbs11oz and 4lbs 8oz. We had a bunch of premie stuff that they never got to wear, they grew too fast. Also with diapers there is not much size difference between newborn and premie at least in pampers size.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My Son was in his preemie stuff for about two months. I would get some onesies, sleepers and some diapers.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Why so early?? Doctors don't get to deliver when they feel like it so I'm assuming there is a very valid reason. That said a few onesies and maybe a sleeper or two. Like another mommy said it's still summer and co-sleeping is probably a good idea too for one so little. Not necessarily in your bed, but right next to it. Good Luck !!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Get Diapers, Onesies, and a few outfits. My 2nd son was 4 weeks early and was in preemie/0-3 mths for the first two months of life.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010