Breastfeeding and losing hair

I have been breastfeeding for 4 months. In the last two weeks I have noticed ALOT of hair falling out. It is everywhere! Does breastfeeding cause hair loss?

jet360

Asked by jet360 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No but a lot of women around 3-5 months postpartum have a huge amount of hair loss. The theory is that many women don't shed as much while pregnant (thus the reason your hair gets so nice and thick) and then around 3-5 months postpartum your body starts to let go of all the hair that you didn't lose while pregnant. I did with both my kids. I would have to clean the drain 3-4 times while taking a shower just so the tub didn't overflow. So ask yourself this did you seem to not lose as much while pregnant, did your hair get thicker? If yes then it is probably just normal postpartum hair loss. If not then I would talk with your doc about it and make sure you are eating right and still taking your prenatals.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• if your not taking the right supliments and eating right it can take too much from your body and cause alot of problems. make sure you remember your prenatal vitamins every day and eat a good healthy variety of food.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• run it by your Dr. too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You're obviously not getting enough nutrition to make up for what the baby is taking. I suggest vitamin supplements and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I'd also probably call the doctor.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• aeneva is right. Here is a link that will help http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/hairloss.html

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's common to have some hair loss post partum, nursing or not. If you've stopped your prenatals, try starting them again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• wow. i didnt know that. thats interesting.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's not from breastfeeding. It is very common a few months after giving birth. It will only last a few weeks and then you will go back to losing what you normally would every day.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 7:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• NORMAL postpartum hair loss. Vitamins won't help. You're losing everything that you did not shed during pregnancy. It's not a problem. Well, except maybe for your shower drain!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010