Is anyone else mad that YOU can't use your mother job as a reference?

I've never have worked harder,than when I became a mother.I think it's unfair that we can't use our experience as being a mother for anything.I'm applying for jobs and they ask for my last job.Well I haven't stopped working this one!!

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 1:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• I never wrote it as a reference on an app. but I did refer to it in an interview and because I had also worked as my DHs secretary and mentioned that, as well, I did get the job I applied for.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I mentioned being a mother, to a future employer and they acted like they didn't care.They think we sit on our butts all day watching soap operas...or going on cafe moms which is true for me,but I work more than a 8 hour shift and more than 5 days a week!I think there needs to be a law passed to credit women as mothers we do alot of work and we never are appreciated!
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Getting back into the work force was the hardest thing for me to do. They seen the 3 year gap and most assumed that I stopped working on a computer. Even though my skills tested awesome. So interview after interview I was getting discouraged. Finally I interviewed with my current employer. She realized that I was a mom returning to the work force and gave me the needed break. You just have to word it right on your resume. Also any volunteer work at the schools etc.. helps too.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 7:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You all need to be more creative with your resumes...you might not be able to list it as a job on yoru resume, but you can add it to your "skills" section..."Excellent time management, detail oriented, bookkeeping skills, file maintenance, ability to multitask, current computer skills, however many words you can type a minute" That sort of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Why should you have to sell yourself to an employer? Be your own boss and stay home too. Have you considered a home based business that is in the 2 largerest emerging industries making the most moneys...wellness and network marketing. If you would like more information, please email me.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Please...you can spin that into gold. Economics, organizational skills, book keeping, event planning, management, there are tons of responsibilities we as moms have to have. It is all about spin. I once got a job at a preschool making more than a degreed teacher because at my interview we talked about a lot of the things kids do that no school can prepare you for. You just have to learn some things by earning your stripes.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2008