Why does breastfeeding hurt so bad?

I tried to breastfeed the first 3 weeks or so but the pain was so bad I switched to pumping only. My nipples are kind of flat so I used the sheild and I got her to latch right on a few times and it still hurt. Its like she is chewing on my nipple and they look pinched after she is done. Im thinking she is not able to get enough boob in her mouth to properly latch? Also, anyone heard of tonge tie? I really want to master this but its very stressful. Please help..

JunebugsMomma8

Asked by JunebugsMomma8 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nipples definitely need a conditioning period. LOL. They are not used to the strong sucking of an infant. Try rolling your nipple between your thumb and index finger before getting her to latch on. It will help shape and firm the nipple. As for tongue-tied - it means the skin holding the tongue to the bottom of the mouth needs to be clipped a bit so the tongue can be lifted higher.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When I breastfed my first it took about a month to get the hang of it. My nipple has always come out flattened after nursing. I think that is normal. Just keeping trying to offer the breast to your little one. If you can't or unable to continue breastfeeding you could always pump or go with formula! Good luck to you momma!
    A.Day

Answer by A.Day at 6:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I also had/have flat nipples. It takes time. Be patient with yourself, and your baby. There are A LOT of nerve ending in the nipples. Maybe try pumping a bit before you feed her to stimulate your nipples, and letdown of milk. Don't give up.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 6:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• your nipples may be sore in the beginning, but breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. please check out the breastfeeding moms group. we will get you to where you want to be!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am in the exact same situation. I've tried breastfeeding with all 4 of my children and my nipples would become extremely painful and after a few times would start to bleed.

Don't think that you're alone, I'd love to be able to breast feed without all the pain (and bleeding) also.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• definitely check for tongue tie if you think thats the case.... both my nephews had tongue tie and my sister was in a lot of pain before she got it fixed, after it was fixed he latch on very well :) I had a flat nipple and it was sore but only for maybe a week from what I remember. I breastfed adn pumped, but never used bottles or a nipple sheild and eventually my nipple pulled out. It was sore, and I had to make sure he got a proper latch each time, but really it only took a week or so. I would see an IBCLC (you can get recommendations from www.llli.org as well as breastfeeding advice. Good luck and don't give up. Once you get past this breastfeeding can be such a reward for you and baby :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• also come to the La Leche League CafeMom group for help.  Have you ever been to an LLL meeting or called them for help.  LLLI can be contacted by either www.llli.org or 1-800-LA LECHE.   No cost to you and they can help a ton!!!

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Breastfeeding can be very uncomfortable at first....the reason for that is because your nipples are not used to the latch and strong suction that your baby has. I agree with massaging your nipples before you start nursing. I also recommend Lansinoh cream. It truly is a lifesaver. It helps condition your nipples and it works wonders.
    It will probably take some time for you and your baby to perfect the art of breastfeeding but do not get discouraged. Breastfeeding is a wonderful experience that you will truly enjoy once you get the hang of it.
    Did you birth at a Hospital? There are nursing consultants at each Hospital and you can go to back the Hospital and get some help for free. Don't be emberassed, they really can teach you some great techniques.
    Good Luck Mama.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Tongue tie is a real condition and my first born had it and nursing was excruciating with him until he got clipped and was retaught how to latch correctly. With my second I had no pain when nursing. It typically takes 4-6 weeks for the pain to subside and switching to a pump and giving a bottle can cause many problems. I would definitely get LO checked for tongue tie and also get LO back to breast despite the pain and try to find a La Leche League or other type of breastfeeding support group locally.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010