Adhd question???

Hello i have a quick question I'm hoping if someone can help me? i have my youngest son who's turning 6 soon and and I just had a meeting with his teacher about that Anthony has a hard time in class and that he makes a lot of noise. So I explain to her that Anthony has ADHD and her replay was that the school doesn't have special education in the school and that there going to try to see if they can work with him and that is possible that he might need to change school I enroll him in a private catholic school.... i really feel like a discrimination towards the whole idea and i don;t know what to really do?

D.RAMIREZ

Asked by D.RAMIREZ at 1:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• FIRST LET ME SAY THAT I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND YOU IN ANY WAY. BUT TO ME ADHD IS JUST SOME SCAM DOCTOR'S TELL US TO MEDICATE OUR KIDS. YOUR SON IS PROBALLY 100% ALL BOY AND YOU WILL FIND THAT BEING "HYPER" AND "UNFOCUSED" IS JUST A RESULT OF PENT UP ENERGY THAT CROSSES IN TO LEARNING ENVIROMENTS. NOW TO YOUR QUESTION, I HAVE SEEN THIS DONE BEFORE WHERE A TEACHER MAKES A SUGGESTION THAT YOUR CHILD IS "SPECIAL" AND NEEDS TO BE SENT ELSEWHERE...SHE IS DEAD WRONG AND YES IT IS A FORM OF DISCRIMINATION. LET'S NOT FORGET THAT THIS IS A PROFESSION THESE TEACHERS CHOOSE AND IF YOU TAKE HIM OUT OF A FREE-SPIRITED PUBLIC SCHOOL AND PLACE HIM INTO A PRIVATE MORE STRUCTURED SCHOOL HIS PROBLEM WILL GET WORSE. PLEASE, ENROLL HIM IN A AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM TO VENT HIS EXTRA ENERGY AND HAVE HIS OWN CREATIVITY., GOOD LUCK!
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• ADHD is not a SPECIAL NEEDS type of situation!!! We were told that our son has ADHD and OOD when he was about 5-6 and we had him put on medication. Every year we have to go through this med changing till we get what he needs and then he's ok for the rest of the year.

I get calls and emails from the teachers until then about his behavior and disruptiveness in class. My opinion is that she needs to disapline him. Kids with ADHD are different in the way that they learn, usually they are more visual, hands on than reading out of a book. That is something that you can work with him at home with. Instead of making him read that chapter of his Social Studies or whatever. Read it to him. Ask him questions, interact with him. It will bond you and him and he will understand it faster with it being read to him. If you want to talk one on one, email me anytime.
    CharleneW

Answer by CharleneW at 5:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When my son was diagnosed, the doctor told me about a regulation/program that is a federal thing that requires public schools to make allowances for him if he needs it. Talk to his doctor about that. He does NOT need special education, and he does NOT need to change schools. They must work with him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The teacher is a twit and feeding you BS. If you suspect your son has ADHD, make a formal written to the superintendent requesting that he be evaluated; make sure to outline your concerns and provide any back up documentation from your doctor. They are required by law to do a case study on your child to see if requires special needs, even if they don't a special education program, per se.

Your child may qualify for Section 504 accommodations or an IEP. 504 accommodations are those types of things that may benefit your child but that don't cost the school any money (having your child sit near the teacher so he can avoid distractions, an extra set of school books, one at school/one at home, etc.). An IEP is a more formalized plan and the school receives funds from the state for things like speech therapy, tutors, etc., that your child may require to help him in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Ok, Well first of all I don't think ADHD is some scam doctors make up. My son turned 6 this summer and is deffinately ADHD. I do not medicate him however. I use natural supplements instead along with a strict structure.

As to weather or not private shool fall under the guide lines or not I'm not sure. But as for public schools. You do not have to put your son into special ed. My son just had an IEP which deamed he didn't need specail ed. However he qualifies for a 504 plan which basically is a we that the school and teachers have to deal with your child. For example my son is allowed to have a special place to complete work during class where he isn't distracted by other things, he is allowed to have a stress ball to squeze while lecture times are happening the list goes on and on. Good Luck!
    Squeaker49201

Answer by Squeaker49201 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• ADHD ATTENTION DEFECIT DOSORDER IS NOT A SCAM IS IS SOMETHING THAT IS HEREDITARY AND SOME PEOPLE CHOOSE TO MEDICATE AND SOME CHOSE NOT TO. THE MEDICATION HELPS THEM FOCUS TO GET THEM THROUGH THE DAY AND IT IS SOMETHING THEY MUST LIVE WITH FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. MY DAUGHTER IS A SR. ON MEDICATION WITH A IEP THROUGH THE SCHOOL SYSTEM (YES SHE GETS SOME SPECIAL HELP) SHE IS AT THE CARRER CENTER TAKING MEDICAL ASSISTANCE AND GETTING A'S AND B'S 2 YEARS AGO WITHOUT MEDICATION SHE ALMOST FAILED.
    bsmitley_69

Answer by bsmitley_69 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Call CHADD. go to their website www.chadd.org. They will tell you how to handle it step by step...legally. They are the best!
    mamadetresbbg

Answer by mamadetresbbg at 1:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There are 504, iep plans that by LAW they must follow...check with chadd. they have all info. Good luck
    mamadetresbbg

Answer by mamadetresbbg at 1:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My 10 yr. old son was around the same age when his KG teacher suggested that we have him evaluated 4 ADHD & it turned out he does along w/ ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). He's on medication & behavioral therapy which seem 2 help sum but he still has those days that he can't focus & is uncooperative w/ his teacher(s). & as far as feeling being discriminated agianst, it sounds that way. I felt this way 2 when my son was going thru it worse than he is now(he's getting better @ focusing & etc.) & the school kept telling us that we r great 2 work w/, we have their whole support & that 2gether (meaning the school & us) will get him there. Then came a BOMBSHELL, the principal sent me an email saying that Albert has had 2 rough days in a row & spent them in her office & that if I thought 2maro was going 2 b rough2, she would appreciate it i we kept him home.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I'm an adult with ADHD and my daughter is being tested for ADHD at almost 7 years old.
    Anonymous