Grandson Just Never Shuts UP(Trying to be Polite here)

My DD has had her 7 yr son a twin to a DR. She has been told he's not hyper, but this little guy just never shuts up. He gets on every bodies nerves, he interrupts everyone, even when corrected , & he always has to be center of attention. When they have any pictures taken ALL the time he has to make a face of some sort so everyone is sure to pick him out, and he's always up front. This is at all birthdday parties, he slips right in at the last minute. Do any of you Mothers or Gr-Mothers deal with a young one like this?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know how to deal with this,but I do have a thought. One day that he's at another party or somewhere where some type of action is going on, there will be another child who will put him in his place. Then he will have met his match. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My oldest daughter was similar to this. I just chalked it up to her being a strong willed child. The thing you have to realize is how this little guy is going to deal with school issues. Luckily, my daughter only had one bad experience in school with a teacher that just didn't understand her. I highly suggest you get him into something to channel his energy. Have you thought about gymnastics or soccer? Gymnastics worked great with my daughter! She's not 25 and has a child just like her. They are only given to special parents and grandparents with loads of patience. That's what it takes! LOL!!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My 8 yr old son is adhd/autistic and always getting in trouble for talking too much. I tried talking to him about self control and told him that not all of his thoughts need to be said out loud. I told him he needed to practice self control and think before he talks. He said, "But, Mom, my brain only tells me to talk. It never tells me to be quiet." Hahaha
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My DS talks all the time. Sure, it gets a little irritating at times, but he has a great imagination and a very good nature about him. He doesn't usually take a normal 'smile and say cheese' picture, but I appreciate him for who he is.

It sounds like your grandson has a lot of energy, maybe find something he loves and let him focus his energy into something productive.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thankfully, no. I've had students like this though. They need to learn self control and appropriate behavior.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Has she had him screened by a psychologist though? Sometimes a family doctor doesn't have the experience or background to diagnose a child so young. This might not be his fault. He may not be able to control the impulse. This is a difficult age since they don't have that many years of a teacher working and watching them. Some of them don't even want to work with them, as you can see by the comment above. It is a lot for some teachers to handle. I would have him evaluated by a child psychiatrist or psychologist to eliminate learning disabilities or uncontrollable behavior. Then the next thing I would have checked is to see if he has any allergies that would make him so hyperactive. He is craving boundaries too. He is old enough to remember what he's been told and is appropriate. There needs to be developmentally and age appropriate consequences. The parents need to be consistent and always follow through.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Our son is like this. One day we went to the pool and this kid starts talking to him and he looks up at me and says, "this kid talks too much" and my mouth dropped. I said, "Gee, does that sound like anyone else we know?" DS got this little smirk thing he does when he's trying to hold back a smile because he knew I was talking about him.

How does one stop it? Beats me.

I kind of have to agree with Pnukey and have been reading up on ways to teach him self control. He doesn't know when to be quiet, when to stop, when something's not appropriate, etc. It's not that I haven't TRIED to teach him about this stuff, but it's like none of it registers.

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• hopefully when he starts school he'll calm down good luck!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes he has been screened by the physcriatrist, and psychologist and has no problems in school, and gets good grades. He is in several sports football, baketkball they try and keep him very busy. One Dr. said they need to be consistant w/punishment, but my DD is, Sil is not,. We feel this is part of the problem, he doesn't. So hopefully as he grows he gets a little better. Thnanks for your thouhts on the subject.
    MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010