Nature vs. Nuture

Do you believe in Nature (kid gets it's personality traits from the genes passed down from parents) or Nuture (kid gets it's personality traits from the environment and how they are raised)?

I swear my kids have some of my SO"s personality!!! And he is not their bio-dad!!!! It's a little freaky. LOL!

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I believe that it can be a combination of both. Genetics do play a large part of who we are. But the environment that you grow up in can affect your behavior depending on what you grew up with. I've always heard that children learn what they live.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Both! I think it is how they are "wired" and the environment they grow up in too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 6:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Both. There have been cases where a parent gives up rights to their child at birth, and being raised by another family that child grows up and meets their parent and all of a sudden things seem to fit. All those little querks that no one understood were things that came from their mother or father. On the other hand, just because someone is a rapist or murderer doesn't mean their child will be... Both factors work together, along with other factors I believe, in order to shape who we are.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• More nature than nurture

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• While kids do pick up things from their parents and their environment does affect them, I think heridity plays more of a role than people think. I was adopted at birth so really my likes, dislikes, etc should have reflected what I grew up with. However, even though I loved reading, like my dad, I was never able to read any book without reading the last 2-3 pages first, something which drove my dad nuts. I loved mediteranian furniture, no one else in the family even liked it. We lived a couple blocks walk from the downtown area of a small town, I always wanted to live out in the country somewhere. OK...fast forward to meeting bio relatives as an adult. One of my brothers always reads the last 2-3 pages of a book first. My sister who grew up several states away had the exact same mediteranian couch cover that I had and we'd both purchased them BEFORE we even knew about each other. The only difference, her's was blue, (cont)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We are all born with genes that predisposition us to certain traits. We are more likely to be certain ways because of our genes. There is some latitude though based on our life experiences. I also think that major tramatic experiences can greatly effect our lives though. But if I had to pick, nature is more of an influence.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Honestly, I believe in Both. I think that children get certain traits and etc from their family tree. However, I think a big part of a childs nature is determined in how they were raised. It is very possible for people to act like/have the same gestures as the people they are raised by.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 6:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Both can influence it. I know I have some family traits however I am mostly like my step dad.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm going with Nurture because it is what I want to believe.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Both. I was not raised by my bio dad and didn't even know the man raising me wasn't until I was 13 and finally met bio dad for the first time about 25. There were always a few quirky things I did that just didn't seem to come from either my mom or dad, but after spending some time with my bio dad they definitely come from him. it is also very scary how much my younger sister who was raised by bio dad seems to be like me! I was the SAHP with my son until he was 18 months old and DH was the SAHP with our daughter until around 2.5 years when we started splitting it more evenly. Son is much more like me and daughter is much more like dad.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010