can you have an unassisted delivery in a hospital?

i was just wondering because i keep thinking how amazing it would be if i were the one to actually "catch" my baby when he or she comes out. but i wouldnt feel safe outside of a hospital. has anyone been able to do this?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They can work it that you catch the baby

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well that depends on your midwife/doc and the hospital. Our hospital and midwife were fine with DH catching the little guy, but Dh was not LOL.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think that would be pretty hard to do considering the angle the baby comes from without assistance, plus they would be liable if something went wrong.

Answer by older at 6:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You can catch your own if you ask the doc and he is willing. A midwife is more likely to let you do that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• well i was thinking squating for the final pushes and just being able to pull him out myself.
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would think you could if you wanted to try it. Just don't make it the only thing that you want, because things can change. Complications can always make things harder, especially if you end up in an emergency c-section.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 7:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My midwife caught 4 of her own babies, and a couple I know delivered their own in the hospital, but in Spain.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010