Does your MIL drive you as batty as mine?

My fiance and I are getting married in less than two months and she asks him today if he's sure.

Then today she gets mad at my son for telling her that her smoking is yucky. it is and i'm very proud of him for saying so!

this isn't really a question, just a place where you too can vent. ha.

john2007

Asked by john2007 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• not really.. shes very sweet and always comes to check on me when Dh is gone during the day..(She even brings me chocolate sometimes!! lol!) I think she sweet
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 7:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I hear ya! My MIL is a on the pushy side. While not a total Bitch she can does do bitchy things. She loves to have her way, make digs, talks about family behind their back....gets all wounded when someone calls her on it. I stay out of that. I never say anything nasty but I do draw the line at my child. My husband is grown and can make his own decisions how to handle his pushy mom when it comes to her pushing him with her opinions. My child is another issue. He's just a little boy. So when she starts talking about others I leave the room with him. She has no idea, not a clue. When she complains that others' hurt her feelings because she talked trash about them - I nod but don't really empathize. She may take the nod as empathy but it's not. If she thinks something is silly as far as my parenting I remind her and my child that every house does things differently.  Recently she has takent to telling us

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• about how she raised her oldest son so very right. GAG. That would be my BIL. Who is not a bad guy but has the case of the snobs. He's arrogant. So is she! But the two of them agree on so much so of course she favors him. Which my husband likes because it gets her the Hell away from him and our business. One time, MIL bought us a vacume because she didn't like the one I was thinking about buying. She is soooo pushy she tries to bribe/bully us into things. In the end - we ignore. Thankfully I have a laid back husband who says let's just see her only a few times a year. Oh, and the BIL - he's so whipped by his wife (who LOVES her family) they will be more involved with his inlaws in the future. Serves my MIL right. And when she feels all rejected there is no way I'm going to let her cozy up to us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• YES!! Since he took me to meet her, she has been against me!! We met in the military and she didn't like that I worked, when we both got out I tried the stay at home mom thing and she said I was living off her son and made him stress too much, when I got a full time job and one part-time job she said I worked too much. When we had our second child (a boy), she said it was about time we had a boy...(our first was a girl). For Christmas we always gave her a very nice gift plus a wallet filled with various gift cards so she could buy what she wanted, she said I bought too much and spent too much money. This last Christmas I crocheted a blanket, scarf and hat for her, hoping to impress her and finally win her over with my domestication, and she said she hated the colors and already had the same items - which, she emphasized, were store bought!!!
    Forget it. I don't even bother with her anymore.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my bofriends mom & dad passed away along time ago so i wouldnt know if she would of llke me
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• nope i absolutely love mine and wish she was closer.
    StephanAndCoral

Answer by StephanAndCoral at 10:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• OMG, I can't stand my MIL. She invites herself to stay at our house, rearranges my kitchen when she's here, snoops through our stuff and gets mad when we lock the house when we're not here so she can't let herself in. She talks about everyone behind their back and everytime she tells the story it changes so you know she's full of it. She is always talking about how she can't keep up financially, but we pay more than half of her house payment, gave her a $20K truck with no payment and even pay her insurance. Even on a fixed income she should have no problems paying her bills. Out of her 5 kids my husband is the only one she goes to for money. Now she wants us to buy her a house closer to us (she lives 30 minutes away). I don't think we can both survive her living any closer!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I love my in-laws!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010