Hard Hats Refusing to Build New York Mosque?

Sounds like the people of New York, are letting the World know about the Mosque being built at Ground Zero. Wanting to srtike against it. Should they?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'll be the first one to back the constitutional rights of someone taking advantage of their right to religious freedom... But, I can't help but visualize the extremist groups out there rallying together and hyping themselves up about how they took down an American supercenter and replaced it with a mosque. Then I think about the families who lost husbands, wives, daughters, sons, etc. and it just doesn't seem appropriate. The land should never have been up for purchase. It shold've been made into a monument for those lost in the tragedy as well as the war. Now THAT would be appropriate.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• They're within their rights to strike or whatever, but that doesn't mean the Center shouldn't be built. They'll find someone to build it (or at least, I hope so). They have every right to build there, and there's nothing in the Constitution that says we all have the right not to be offended, and the rights that ARE granted (the ones that support their building this) aren't contingent upon anyone's approval. No one has to like it, they don't even have to participate in building it, but the people who want it built have every right to build, and I'm behind it being built 100%. Its ridiculous we're trying to talk people out of what they're completely within their right to do.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• First off building where they are hurts no one. Unless you have sentimental feeling towards the Burlington coat factory there. Because that is where their building it. Secondly though the hard hats are most likely refusing to build it because they are scared they will be hurt by idiot during the construction. However luckily places out of the state like my friends company are putting in bids to go up there and build the mosque. So no body is winning however my friend is getting paid a shit load for the fact that new York workers are to fearful.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Blood spilled at the Pentagon too...and there is a Mosque there

***

"The chapel, which opened in November 2002, is also used by Catholics, Jews, Protestants, Hindus and Mormons. Its stained-glass windows and inscription behind the altar -- "United in Memory, Sept. 11, 2001"

Looks like a multi-purpose meeting room to me...not a mosque.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If they don't want to build it, they are showing therir prejudice and revealing that they are judging all Muslims and having objections to all when they are not all bad. What if they decided they wouldn't want to build a Jewish Synagogue? There are some Jews who are bad. Maybe they should object to Lutherans? Refuse to build a Lutheran chapel for praying?
    I mean, you can apply that objection and refusal to build to ANY religion. There have been some horrible mass murders by other religions and cults also.
    It is just prejudice and shameful.
    They are being stupid.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• As a business owner you have a right to refuse or bypass opportunities when they are presented.

This entire topic is just fear induced, band wagon hysteria. I think people should get their priorities in place, and decide what our country needs to focus on, at this point. Jobs, the economy, the November elections, cleaning up the gulf or this overblown issue? Maybe we should make a new law outlawing Islam, or all religions....they've all been known to have extremist members that create cowardly actions producing untoward effects.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well in my opinion thats the perfect way to fight this, legally there is nothing that can be done to stop it, it is completely within the rights of the people that are paying for the mosque to build it wherever they want, but that doenst mean that anyone has to take the job and do it, I think its a great idea, but I am sure that some people will build it if they are paid enough.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 7:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Funny, but the "hard hats" who are against building the mosque, would be HAPPY to build them a palace next to their PERSONAL homes...just NOT at Ground Zero!!  And I agree.

"L.V. Spina, a Manhattan construction worker who created anti-mosque stickers that some workers are slapping on their hardhats, said he would "rather pick cans and bottles out of trash cans" than build the Islamic center near Ground Zero.

"But if they moved it somewhere else, we would put up a prime building for these people," he said. "Hell, you could do it next to my house in Rockaway Beach, I would be fine with it. But I'm not fine with it where blood has been spilled."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sweet, are you talking about the Imam behind this project? Did you know that there is a recording of him in 2005 saying that America is worse than Al-Queda? The PC police can name-call all they want, but there is nothing wrong with having legitimate concerns about the person behind this project.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes!!! That is very insensitive to build that thing there!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010