Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Dad wants us to take over his house! How?

Dad is moving to assisted living(not nursing home). His house has been in the family for many years and the entire family wants my fam to move in and take over. He is getting med assistance and the social worker said it wouldn't hurt his MA if we took his house. He also is working with a lawyer because of a permanent disability from a work realated accident which could pay for any possible care the rest of his life. This is hard because we have to think about this, and don't have a lot of time. Any EXPERIENCED input would be great. Thanks :)


Asked by Musicmom80 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 36 (80,428 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Think of it this way then.....your family gets to live in a house that is already paid for. All you have to do is pay the bills and maintain the place. If a few years down the road he NEEDS to sell to pay for his care, you should have been able to save up a lot of money in that time to buy your own place. However the smartest thing that you can do is talk to him about putting the house in your name and taking his completely off of it.

    Answer by slw123 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • This stuff can be tricky, so I think I would want a good lawyer's opinion as to how it should all be handled.

    Answer by NannyB. at 7:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • You may want to talk with a lawyer who is experienced in this type of thing. From what I understand in my state of Michigan anyways, before getting any assistance you have to use all your assets before you qaulify. Every state is different. Many lawyers will talk with you for free. Good luck!

    Answer by mistynights234 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Would you be buying the house from him? That would be the cleanest way I would know to do it. That way any family that may change their minds will never think it was a gift.

    FYI Most mortgages have clauses that say you can't have someone else assume the debt, meaning if you took over his payments his mortgage would be due in full.

    Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • My dad went through this with my grandma in the state of New Jersey. He purchased her house from her legally for a small amount of money... (it was actually one dollar). and they never had any problems/

    Answer by lovinangels at 7:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • I would take the house and live in it,no mortgage!!!!

    Answer by dancer at 7:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Yes the house is paid off, but we are worried if he needs assistance(which he probably won't)he won't get it because he gave us his house. We talked to lawyers they just say there are no guarantees for anything. It's like, if we don't we'll regret it, but if we do will we! Just makes my head spin!

    Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • He doesn't have a we aren't buying it. He's ALREADY on MA. That's rediculous, they don't take your home because you are on MA. Many families get MA without losing their homes. I already spoke with his social worker.

    Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010