UGH ................ EMPLOYMENT APPLICATIONS ONLINE. EVERYTHING IS ON LINE THESE DAYS.

How many of you have tried to apply for a job and you were told that you have to go on line to apply? I walk away thinking damn. So then you get home and have all of this shit to fill out. The computer tells you when you think your done that they need this, and this is missing and this is incorrect. They actually want the exact month day and year that you got out of grade school and highschool, and what day you started a job and the day you ended. Is this shit or what? I just clicked out of the damn thing and said fuck it for now. I have so many job apps on line and np one seems to be calling. I am so frustrated.

MamaNiecey

Asked by MamaNiecey at 7:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• As an HR Director, I only accept online resumes, as we are a paperless HR Department (Yes, we are a bunch of tree-huggers in addition to needing a streamlined process). My feeling? If a person really wants to work us they will find a way to comply with the requirements. I posted a couple of positions on hotjobs.com over the weekend and so far I have received almost 100 online resumes for 2 vacancies. If someone complains about the online process I have many other options to choose from. Good luck with your job search!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i know that happened to me when i was looking for a job i was going old school and asking them if the were hiring and when they would say yes i would ask to get an application all theywoudl give me was a little card sayign to go on the web page and do it there because thats the way they do it. then i go and do it and they take forever you need to make sure you are not missing anything or they wont let you go on until you fix it in some you dont even knwo what to put but you have to put smehing if you want to go to the next page
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Keep at it - it is the wave of the future ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Follow up constantly with the company. You can harass them nicely :) it sucks but be persistent
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I actually prefer the online process. When I was searching for teaching jobs after college, I could apply from the comfort of my home, and upload all necessary materials. It is the wave of the future as someone else said.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree with you OP- My husband has been looking for a 2nd part time job- even just minimum wage. But you go to... what was it Pizza Hut?? and their application is 10 pages long. Other companies have little tests that they want you to pass:

Would you ever steal from your employer 1.) Yes. 2.) No 3.) Depends 4.) Only if I wasn't getting paid enough.

And then the same question again only worded differently. I can understand for higher paying jobs- applications that take over an hour to fill out. But come on minimum wage and you want me to spend an hour per application? I guess we will since we really don't have another choice.

Paperless doesn't have to mean a novel application though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• "Follow up constantly with the company. You can harass them nicely :) it sucks but be persistent"

Crazymom21....This is true but has a limit. If someone calls to ensure that we have received their resume online, we know the true purpose of their call is to let us know they are eager, which is good. However, they are told that after we have the opportunity to review it we will get back to them and they don't wait to hear from us and continue to call.... we put their resume at the bottom of the pile.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Very true Erica.. we actually don't have applications.. we require a cover letter and a resume for all positions and we also require college transcripts, a writing sample and copies of certifications for certified positions.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010