how does a child become spoiled

i never held my boys too much i mean how can u get anything done with a baby on your hip every wer you go..

Patientchild3

Asked by Patientchild3 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• exactly!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think it first starts off when you're always holding them and never letting them cry as babies. If you're the type of parent that can't stand to hear your baby cry then you're going to do anything for them not to and that's when the child know that they can always get their way if they cry. Once you start giving them everything they want it's hard to stop.
    luvmynubabe

Answer by luvmynubabe at 8:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i would suggest calling NANNY 911...
    Patientchild3

Comment by Patientchild3 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree with Butterflyblue19.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think constantly placating them, not establishing ground rules, buying them anything and everything they want, not disciplining them and especially not following through on punishments or threats thereof, not engaging/ignoring them, treating/talking to them like little adults, and above all being FRIENDS with them as opposed to being their PARENT!!! Ugh!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Babies cannot be spoiled!! They cry because they can't say, "excuse me mom, sorry to interrupt, but I'm really hungry!" or, "pssst.. mom, I know you're busy, but I have a really horrible pain in my mouth... my gums hurt so bad and I don't know what to do!" OR, "Mom, I know you're super busy, but I seem to have this load in my diaper and it's giving me a rash... if you can squeeze me in for a diaper change I'd appreciate it big time!"
    On the other hand... A 15 year old that drops a basket of clothes in front of his mom and says, "I'm gonna need this laundry clean by 8a.m.". OR an 8th grader who all of a sudden remembers at 9pm that he volunteered his mom to make 3 dozen cupcakes for the next day and they have to be delivered by 10am.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• yes babies can to be spoiled
    Patientchild3

Comment by Patientchild3 (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Babies are supposed to be held practically 24/7 and you can't spoil a baby by holding. Holding is more important than getting anything done. You can use a baby carrier. For all of human history babies have been breastfed, held, and mothers have slept with their babies. It is hardwired in babies' brains. That what mothers do in most of the world. Artificial feeding, baby seats, and cribs are all a big social experiment. We aren't sure of the consequences.

If spoiled means misbehaved, it's the children that are ignored that are irritating and misbehave. The kids that have been held and have had their needs met are less likely to be spoiled.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i dont agree, i held him for nine months y shud they be held all the time thats what spoils them
    Patientchild3

Comment by Patientchild3 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Babies can't be 'spoiled' but they can be given a set of unrealistic expectations. Babies cry to communicate-yes. They also cry for attention-yes. What gets me is that at some point they figure out that if they wimper you will come running. I have no problem with baby wearing or anything like that but to jump up and run every time the lip quivers is setting up an expectation you are not going to want to continue. Spoiled is a 3 year old that stomps her foot in the store and refuses to move from one spot until you agree to buy her the barbie doll she is holding...and then you do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010