How do you make beans and rice?

What kind of beans? Rice? What do you add to it?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 8:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Santa Fe Beans & Rice

2 c. cooked white rice (2/3 c. uncooked long grain white rice, 1 1/3 c. water, combine in pan and boil about 14 minutes until rice is tender)
    1 15 oz. can or 2 c. cooked black beans
    1 c. frozen corn or 8 oz. can sweet corn kernels
    1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
    1 c. salsa
    1 c. lowfat sour cream
    2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
    1 small red or white onion, sliced or diced, your choice
    1 small can sliced black olives (or more if that's your preference)

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine drained beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, 1 c. cheese, and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish and top with onions and olives. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. I served mine with homemade tortilla chips. YUM!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I make it with either black beans or red kidney beans. I soak the beans overnight and then cover them with fresh water, add onion, celery, garlic, thyme and black pepper (don't add salt until after they cook). I cover and let them simmer for an hour or so. Then I add sausage that I have browned. I like Andouille, but you can use whatever kind you like. When the beans are tender I add salt and some hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper. Smash some of the beans to thicken it. Then serve in a bowl with a scoop of rice on top. Yummy!!!

You can use canned beans, but I like the flavor better when I have let dried beans simmer all afternoon.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I cheat and use Zatarans
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• out of a jar and a box. my husband is the master chef in my house. i still do most of the cooking but he does all the homemade, awesome stuff.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My beans and rice are super easy- just cook some brown rice, warm up a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and steam some broccoli. layer in a bowl and sprinkle with soy sauce. Fantastic with homemade oven 'fried' egg-rolls.
    CarrieGemenon19

Answer by CarrieGemenon19 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010