When did you start to notice your baby started noticing your face and others. When did they first start to really smile when they looked at someone?

My grandson is a little over a month, and when I stare right at him and say those goofy baby things lol...he starts to smile then look aways. I hate when people say its gas. I dont believe that. But did anyone else notice that at this age, or did you notice it later on?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 weeks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my daughter is almost 5 weeks. she does the same thing and i believe that she is noticing faces
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son was around 5-6 weeks when he really started to smile. My daughter was 4 weeks to the day when she started smiling at us.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 4 weeks when she really did it, like it could be coaxed out regularly. She smiled in her sleep very early. It's not gas. Your grand baby loves you!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I caught my daughters 1st smile at about 2wks old, so yea he could be smiling. Gas? lol thats funny just know babies do have emotions & will show them when ready!
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my little girl started noticing faces and watching what was going on around her by day 3. her doc was shocked at how alert she was. she started smiling at about a week
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My kids all started smiling at us and making cooing sounds at about 4 or 5 weeks. My grandkids did too. It is NOT gas! LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 4 weeks but it really increased at 6 and 7 weeks.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 10:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You have to really get in a baby's face before they will recognize you. An infant's vision is extremely nearsighted-- it can take up to 9 months to actually make the connection between the voice of an important person in their lives and their face. DH has studied the anatomy of the eye.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My first DS was 4 weeks and my youngest DS is 2 weeks and I swear he smiles when we pat his hands!
    BrittMom2B

Answer by BrittMom2B at 11:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010