Speeding ticket

I am from NJ. I recently traveled to NC. On my way home I was pulled over and got a speeding ticket. A family member told me that whe you get pulled over in a state that does not border your home state you do not get points on your license. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it true?

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Travel

• I have never heard that one.

I do know that I got a speeding ticket in TN and my NC license was suspended for it because it was out of state! So be sure to check your state laws on that one. I had no idea that NC would suspend it for an out of state speeding ticket
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't think that is true. Not sure though.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• no state borders my home state. I wonder if that ticket I got in Washington is on my record somewhere?
    Roadfamily6now

• I would think it would be the same?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have never heard of that, but then again, I had a tkt in my own state years ago. You need to check on it, or else you'll be notified by your Ins .Co. I'm sure.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It might be true. I think traffic laws are by state. But I would check on it with someone who definitely knows. It is obvious that so far none of us know for sure.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I got a speeding ticket (my only one ever!) back in 2003 in RI. When I had to renew my license in 2007 I had not paid that ticket yet, and had to pay the reinstatment fee in RI AND MA. I dont know how if thats the same for all states tho!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I've never heard of that. Sucks that it's not any state. While you may not get points on your license, it could still affect your insurance. DH got a speeding ticket in VA (we live in NC). He didn't get any points, but it did cause our premium to go up for about 2 years.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am not sure about that one.:)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That doesn't sound right to me.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010