Has anyone else ever felt like a bad parent?!

Today I was cleaning the tub while my daughter (15m) took a nap. We live in an old house w/an old bathtub. To clean it, I fill it up w/hot water, add CRL, & let it soak. While I was doing this DD came in & tried to grab the cleaning bottles. In the time it took me to set 2 bottle on the toilet, DD fell in the tub! I grabbed her out and couldn't believe it. Her tiny body was lobster red & she was screaming! I took her to the doctor who said she was fine. By 5 PM DH was back to her regular color with 3 blisters on her cheek & chest. Sad about the blisters but relieved it isn't worse!
When she was 4m old she ate a gift bow and choked. I knew to flip her over and hit her back. But before anything came out, she actually PASSED OUT!!!
I feel so awful! Has anyone else had experiences that made you feel like a totally neglectful, irresponsible, parent. (Please no bashing. I was hoping to speak openly).

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh honey! that was an accident! do not beat your self up over it! ::hugs::

When my oldest was 4 months old, I was carrying him down some cement steps, my ankle twisted on the last one and we both fell to the ground, poor little guy had a hair line skull fracture. I felt awful! For weeks, I would not carry him down stairs unless I had a good grip on a rail.

you would be a bad parent if you put her into the tub of hot water.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• one time I put a bath ready for my kids, i went to the kitchen to grab a 'kid washin cup' and then heard screams for help...ran to the front bathroom and saw my daughter (5 at the time) holding her baby brother in the tub, and he was fully clothed! he just tumbled in and went head first. I had taught her that if she ever saw baby brother's head under water to pull his head out. she did it. does that make me irresponsible, i dont' think so,but at the same time do i no longer let them be in the tub or around the tub without me. shit happens. and u learn.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• the first week i brought my son home from the hospital i wanted him to try out his new swing(like he cared lol) and i smushed his little finger...and a week later when i went to cut his nails i cut his little finger...i felt so bad i had to file his nails till he got a little bigger because i didnt want to cut him again. it was so sad. :(
    but i dont think you are a bad parent. hang in there.
    bennysmom519

Answer by bennysmom519 at 6:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2008