Getting daddy on board about Cloth diapers...

I really want to cloth diaper. I love the idea & hated doing disposables with the other two. But he just won't get on board. He said "It's the 21st century and we should act like it." He thinks it's unsanitary and disgusting to reuse a diaper after it's been pooped in... And he said IF he agrees to it we have to buy new ones every month or so because anything less is just to gross...

How do I get him on board with this? Anyone else have this issue?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, We had the same issues. I was able to get my hubby on board after showing him how much money dispoables cost over the 2-3 years they are needed vs the cost of cloth, I think it was around a $1500 savings.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I did that... I figured out what we put in to diapers per year for our other two, and gave him a high aprox for cloth - which was still THOUSANDS less... But he said his kids are worth more than any amount of money and he would rather pay three times as much for disposables than have his baby in a diaper he didn't believe was clean...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• So during potty training did he throw out wet/pooped in underpants? lol. Tell him it's the 21st century act like it...we do have a washing machine. lol. You don't plan on wiping it out and slapping it back on! Seriously though, make sure he understand how they are cleaned how much healthier it is for their bottoms! I really wish I had done cloth. I regret it. They breath, they don't take up 1/2 your trash can space each week, better for the planet, makes potty training easier in some cases... There are a ton of pro's and only a handful of con's really.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We are potty training my youngest now, and yeah, if he poops in them he usually waits til after I wash them and then sneaks them in to the trash - like I don't notice... He said disposables were good enough for the first two, there is no reason they wouldn't be for this one.

As for environmental reasons - he sees no point in caring about that stuff at all. As soon as you say something isn't green or isn't environmental he tunes right out.

I wanted to cloth diaper with my oldest but naively thought he wouldn't be in diapers long enough for the investment to pay itself off... So I didn't push it... And he was still in diapers when we had number 2, so I didn't push it there just out of habit... But I'm better educated now and really want to do this...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I understand completely where you are coming from. I did not do cloth with my older 2, but was hell bent on doing them with my 3rd. It took a while for my hubby to be on board, but eventually he came around! I hope ours does too!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Disposable diapers contain potentially harmful chemicals. Since the 1990’s, disposable diapers have been known to contain the toxic pollutant Tributyl-tin, dioxins (a carcinogenic chemical banned in many countries) and Sodium Polyacralate, a polymer that had been used in tampons until it was linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome and subsequently banned in the 1970s. The use of these chemicals has not be definitively linked to adverse health effects, but for years weren’t similar arguments made for second-hand smoke? Given that your baby will spend 95% of his or her first two to three years in diapers, how much hard evidence do you need before looking for alternatives?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• “Superabsorbent” diapers absorb moisture. A baby who does not feel wetness will not alert his parents that a change is needed, and there is a reason that even disposable diapers need to be changed every 3-4 hours. Remember a baby’s skin is 1/5 the thickness of an adult’s.
    In addition to the chemicals mentioned above, many diapers contain dyes or oils to which babies are often allergic.
    Because disposable diapers do not “breathe,” unlike cloth diapers, heat can build up. While there is no clear correlation, the use of disposables has been linked by some to the rise in male infertility.
    Whether it is due to the heat, the chemicals, the dyes or other allergens, there has been a clear rise in the incidence of diaper rash since the rise in popularity of disposable diape
    BradenIsMySon

• Maybe the health aspect can get to him...
    BradenIsMySon

• I have no real advice but kinda wish we did cloth. We considered it with our middle child because the disposable irritated her skin but we found a brand that did not. Now maybe I researched it wrong but in the end it did not seem to save that much but I did not do it real thorough so I may be wrong so thats why I kinda was like ok disposable! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• no i dont use cloth diapers i use the regular throw away diapers
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010