Is there any reason I shouldn't let my son fall asleep with the light on?

Can't think of any reason. He fights bedtime now and he asks for the light on. He's not afraid, I think he just likes to have some control of the situation.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 9:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pick your battles. Whatever it takes to make him feel safe and can fall asleep. There isn't anything wrong with leaving the light on.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't see any reason to not let him at all. My little Boy is 6 and he sleeps a lot better when I leave the hall light on. He has a night light in his room but he likes to have more light. I think he likes to be able to see more if he wakes up. Leaving the light on allows him to get more sleep and I get more sleep to. I say let him have the light on- as long as you know he's not getting up playing or anything then I think it's fine.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If it helps him go to sleep, more power to you!
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I dunno,running up your electric bill perhaps?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Other than the waist of electricity no. If he feels safe with it on let him do it and when he gets older get a night light. Or they have these nifty little glow in the dark things that gain all the strength to glow during the day and they will stay lit till he falls asleep.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• waste**
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• other than a hydro bill i wouldn't think so. oh no sorry waste of electricity. how about getting him a night light and a flash light.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• yanno what you can do to make him feel he has some control-go let him pick a really great nite light! any one he would like(or heck a couple). never too young to teach about 1. being "green" and 2. mommy saving "green". lol but there really isnt a huge health reason or anything, as long as you are turning it off. and I say that because with a light on, some experts believe sleep can be interuppted, and we all need good sleep. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Except for paying for the electricity, I know of no reason either. I wonder if a couple nightlights would be cheaper to have on and still bright enough for him.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• let the kid have some light~my kid has night blindness and needs to have light or I find him crawling on the floor to feel safe. Now too much light with an teen girl might effect her periods.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010