why does my three year old hold food in her mouth?

she is exceptionally bright. this holding the food in the mouth has only recently occured with in the past month. i am 32 weeks pregnant and she doesnt appear to have a jealous attitude she seems very welcoming of the baby and with things that occur she adds and baby sprinkles too. her name for the baby. she is somewhat of a picky eater but i imagine that is just the age. she is spoiled to the point that at most times she refuses to feed herself i agree to do this because she do not have a conventional dinner meaning around the table so i see this from her as she just wants to spend more time together. as for junk food she gobbles it down ,shes big on fruit as well and any type of pasta . not a big meat eater. Has anyone else experienced this?

chedda

Asked by chedda at 9:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My children did that when they really didn't like something they were eating. They would attempt to spit it out when I wasn't looking. Sometimes they even did it when they were getting full.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's about control, at this age they are trying to grasp control of anything they can and sometimes that includes holding the food in their mouth. They do outgrow it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son does this with meat. He's 5. He chews and chews, but doesn't like to swallow it. I think because it doesn't really get smaller, he's not comfortable swallowing it. I hope when his molars come in next year, he can chew it better.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010