Do any of you out there pay for child care for 2 kids?

I'm gonna have to jump into the workforce to help hubby and wondering if any of you can tell me how much you pay for child care for 2 small kids. I'm in California and I know it all depends, but, I just want to know anyway if you get a discount if you bring in 2 kids or if you get charged the same. I have a 1 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old...both girls. For one girl alone the cheapest I found was about $500 per month so does that mean it would be $1000 per month. That's ridiculous! I'm supposed to pay that while I get $10 an hr? And since I'm married I don't qualify for help, yet we can barely make it.

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• seems like we cant win for loosing but i would say that price is too much and prolly try and find someone close or close to you that would keep them for 200 a month at the least...
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• that's exactly why I became a SAHM. The day care did a 10% discount for siblings, but when one is $560/month, 10% off the second kid doesn't exactly help.

Best thing to do is get a job that's opposite hubby's so that you can have him take care of the kids while you work, you take care of them while he works.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I pay for three kids. The discount they give you is very small. For partime I was paying $500 a week. $2000 a month for two days a week! This is in MN. MN is cheaper than CA. I used to live there. Now I have a Nanny that I pay hourly, I'm lucky because she is a friend.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We had twins. They are 8 now. We live in AL. I used to drive a few miles out of the way to TN to save money. At that time I pd twenty dollars a day. And she allowed us to stay part time. I think w two kids some places will give like a 10 percent discount. It is another house payment for child care. Do you not have a relative who could help you, like your mom? That is a great way to save money.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• almost forgot, I make it so me and hubby switch off to save money too!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• thanks ladies! I guess I'm sort of in a pickle since my hubby is away half the week and the other half comes home about 8p.m. so it doesn't leave me much room. Then I have to drive about an hr to even find a decent job and one that I can find at night at that. Well...gotta stay positive.
    Orchid7

Comment by Orchid7 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Oh and no I don't have relatives where I live...not looking too good for me...LOL
    Orchid7

Comment by Orchid7 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm in CA too. I charge 300/mo for one 2 y/o... but, it's for my best friend (near sister). I wouldn't take that little for anyone else... and I would charge a buttload more for two kids! I've had both her kids for a week now and I've about lost it! She pays 140/wk for him at his before/after care (he's in the 2nd grade)... so even with a big family discount she's paying 900/mo for two. This is why I'm a SAHM... we certainly couldn't afford to pay for childcare!

Have you considered taking in a child or two instead of working outside of the home? Or what about a restaurant job? Could work opposite DH for shorter hours.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• @LeanneC...I can understand charging a lot for child care it is A LOT of work in all respects. It's just hard to make a living on what one earns nowadays. Yes, I was thinking about being creative and taking in kids maybe the day or after school for a lot less that way it's a win-win situation. Wheels are still turning.
    Orchid7

Comment by Orchid7 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That's is ridiculous for child care to be that much.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010