My 4 year old grandson is deathly afraid of police

We have had a cop talk to him. everyone around him has reasured him they are there to help him but nothing seems to work. Every time he sees a cop or hears a siren he gets quite and goes to shaking. Nothing has happened that we know of to cause this fear. Has this happened to you

nanny29

Asked by nanny29 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• hasnt happened to me but he may just fear them because they shoot to kill if have too and he jus doenst undetstand that yet.. i think he will over come it..best wishis
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Does he show signs of sensory processing issues? My grandson is terrified of police, fire..all emergency vehilces. He has sensory processing issues. Loud noises just freak him out and shut him down. Textures like dry rice, sand, oatmeal all freak him out. Could it be a possibility? Something to think about and rule out anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have 2 nephews who are afraid of the police. I asked them why and one said its b/c their parents tell them to get down when they're driving in the car and see an officer. I couldn't believe it! I explained that the police are here to get the bad guys and help them if they're ever in trouble. I told them that if they are ever in a scary situation, they should get a police officer. I think the parents think its a joke, but I was sad that they would put that fear into them like that. I hope they took what I said to heart.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• thats so sad.. my boys grandpa is a police officer and my oldest gets so excited everytime he sees a police car or see's the flashing lights or even cops on tv... he always asks for "Papa" they both love seeing him in his uniform, and especially sitting with him in his police car:-) its sad that kids are scared of police.. maybe its knowing that they have a gun? or that he has seen movies on tv,, in movies the cops are usually yelling at the "bad guys" kids might not understand that its them doing their jobs, not being mean to people
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 10:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I know we want him to feel safe with them but so far what we have tried is not helping.
    nanny29

Comment by nanny29 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• poor little guy
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• maybe just a phase?
    Mom2Giovanna

Answer by Mom2Giovanna at 1:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It could be he saw something on TV that stuck with him, or the loud noise can be scary. Sorry, I've not dealt with this.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010