is anyone is therapy/counseling? Do you feel it helps?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 10:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I am and yes, it helps 'cause I have someone I'm accountable to when it's my turn to take responsibility for something.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes I am and yes I think it helps very much.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 5 years and its saved my life
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i have gone through counseling at a young age and i also had counseling for marriage a couple of months after i had my daughter and my husband returned from iraq. i personally dont believe that it works . a counselor or therapist is just someone to advise you , they listen to you and if you tell them something incriminating they take an oath that says they have to report anything you say because they look at you as the reason why you are seeing them is because you can not desifer for yourself the right choice my mother in law has been seeing a therapist since she was in her first marriage at like 19 shes 61 now and alone and still seeing her therapist and making my life a living hell. if you are considering seeing a therapist sure why not if you just want someone to talk to. or if its a marriage thing go ahead it never hurts to try something out the therapist might tell you something unexpected. good luck.
    chedda

Answer by chedda at 10:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In the past, yes. It was relieving to have an objective ear to help me sort things out. However, I had an excellent therapist. If you find a good one, therapy can be helpful. Good luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 10:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have been seeing a pyschologist for the past 6 weeks or so and I can honestly say it's helped some... I don't feel like I'm going to explode like I did before I started. I don't cry as much, or as easily. I lost both of my parents within 5 yrs of each other and it's been hard for me without them. I also have severe mood swings, and need to learn to deal with the anger I have over things that have and continue to go on in my family. I tried medication, my OB prescribed it... All it did was give me horrible headaches so my therapist decided to stop that and see if the counseling will help, if not then we will look into medication. It's a long process, and I'm not going to be better overnight. I prefer to not take medication and try and work through all of it. I feel the medication will just mask the problem and it will be there once I go off of it. So there ya have it... Hope this helped.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• not me
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It depends on the therapist I have had some wonderful people help me through some tough times...Then there is this one female my 23 yr old daughter was seeing and the woman should not even have held a job in the mental health feild!!! I even told my daughter to switch but of course she wouldn't because the therapist was coddling her just the way she wanted...instead of being held accountable and making her see things as they really are then this women even emails me!! telling me all sorts of crap! I was so mad!!! I Emailed her back and then she ended her sessions with my daughter.....so if there is somebody out there you do not like seeing then switch to a new one...there are some great therapists out there but like any professional you have to really look hard to find that diamond in the rough
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010