How do I stop my 23 mo. DS from climbing on the counter?

My son is almost 2 years old, and climbs on top of the counter every day, all day! Besides being afraid he will fall and get hurt, he's getting in the cupboards, pouring food all over, playing with dishes, water, plants, and even turned the oven on one day! I've tried to be patient and have consistantly got him down, been stern, and in times of frustration, yelled and spanked. I know that he "knows" that he's not supposed to be up there. This has been going on for a really long time now, over 6 months. He is REALLY busy, always on the go. I dont think that I should have to hover over him ever second of the day, am I wrong? He is my first child, and honestly (Love him with all my heart) but I'm not sure I could handle another!

Friny

Asked by Friny at 10:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• uhm do you own a play pen? a 6 month old wow really active at a young age you know if you dont get it under raps now its going to get a bit harder. are you a stay at home mom. are you uh distracted while the baby iss doing this. do you have other kids. my mom would just make me watch my siblings when stufflike that would happen when i was younger. good luck with that i say outings to the park and playdates . wear that baby out.
    chedda

Answer by chedda at 10:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• you can always buy a gate or something to block him from getting into the kitchen. That's what I would do. If not then I would be putting him in time out a lot lol
    Moonwhispers

Answer by Moonwhispers at 10:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• omg you find out tell me cause my son is doing the same thing so bad he knocked a whole dresser over the other day im at my witts end also so heres a bump!!
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 10:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have a grandson the same age, he will be 2 on 9/11. He gets on counters, empties cabinets, puts stuff in the microwave, and he will eat the dog food and drink the dog water. He goes out the dog door, barks like a dog, retrieves, and thinks he is a dog.

I was a divorced, single mother with my 3rd son. When he was 2 I got him all settled with a video and took a 3 min. shower. I got out and couldn't find him. He was on top of the fridge! He turned out to have bipolar disorder. Kids with bipolar disorder think they can't get hurt and get lots of broken bones and stitches.

I think my grandson is normal. I try and move things out of his reach. I put things out for him to play with. You could try more childproofing and gates.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Your son is going to get hurt. He is going to break bones and get stitches. I hope you have insurance. He is a risk taker. Being stern and spanking isn't going to change it. You might like reading about Howard Gardner and multiple intelligences. His theory is that people have different ways of being smart. You can nuture these different ways. Thomas Armstrong has written some books about how to do this. If you google their names you can find out more. Your son may have interest in cooking and science.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• plan a week of you doing nothing but following him everywhere- stick right beside him- then stop him and tell him not, pick up up- remove him - before he can get to the top of the counter or cupboard. make sure there is nothing on which he can climb up to get to the counter tops. ("tomato staking" is a term sometimes used for always having your child right there next to you. it is very time consuming and you don;t get much else done, but it often has a big pay-off if you do it consistently for a couple weeks- though one of mine has autism and I had to do that pretty much for 6 years)

maybe try upside down packing tape on the counters (like they suggest for deterring cats)

also- spend a lot of time at the park where he can climb.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am probably going to get bashed for this answer but I would let him fall. It will certainly teach him a lesson that he won't forget. Before anyone accuses me of being a troll, I'm not. I have four children and each one has learned lessons by experienceing what can happen when you do what you aren't supposed to be doing.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• "I am probably going to get bashed for this answer but I would let him fall. It will certainly teach him a lesson that he won't forget"

my kids never learned. I often let them fall, etc- they would just do it again. my middle would fall backwards off of bed-headboards, couches, etc. - land flat on is back- LAUGH and do it again. I''m surprised he never broke his neck.

(remember those old Nestle Plunge commercial- they people would spread-eagle- fall backwards into the pool... that is what my son did off of everything. I caught him on the more dangerous things , but he'd do it from his own bed all the time- and my bed was higher- he did it from my bed a few times. He'd LEAP from the top of the bunk bed, too.
    but I would aways stop him from Neste Plunging from the edge of the bathtub. I was always afraid he'd crack his head open on something)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• "omg you find out tell me cause my son is doing the same thing so bad he knocked a whole dresser over the other day im at my witts end also.. !! "

My son has knocked the dresser over on himself too. I have a picture of him quite a while ago, on top, with the drawers out like steps. I joke that the only place he cant get to right now is on top of the fridge. BUT im sure he'll figure that one out eventually. Everyone always tells me "that's what boys do..." but I have a nephew only 3 months younger, and he does NONE of this. My son is CONSTANTLY on the go, always looking for the next best thing to do. You would think that I would be in much better shape! lol
    Friny

Comment by Friny (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• "you can always buy a gate or something to block him from getting into the kitchen. That's what I would do. If not then I would be putting him in time out a lot lol"

I really wish that a gate would be an option, but he just climbs over them.. or knocks them down.. =o( We havent been able to use gates as detourants in a long time... he started walking at 9 months, and really climbing wasnt far behind. He has taken his fair share of spills, and had a couple pretty big goose-eggs on his head.
    Friny

Comment by Friny (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010