How do you know if your dog has worms?

Yeah that sounds gross, but someone had dropped a 5-6 week old puppy off at my grandma's so I brought him home...when he was like 8-9 weeks old he started looking skinny and acted sick and when he used the bathroom there were worms so I gave him worm medicine and he was all better the next day. Well he's probably between 4 and 5 months old now and I havent seen any worms and he isnt acting like he did before but my MIL said he threw up today while she was here and he had either ate some rice or had worms, and he's in the house right now asleep and I can hear his stomach gurgling and making weird noises. He got into my garbage I sat under tha carport but I caught him right after he got in it but I assumed maybe he had ate something to make him throw up. What are the signs a dog has worms?

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pets

• You can see it in his vomit and his poop. I know that sounds nasty but it is true. You can see them crawing around in it. With it being that young and just being dropped off, I would say he does need to be treated for worms.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Losing weight and upset stomach are a sign. Also I know a sign is if they drag their butt on the carpet. I think they do that because it itches or something, but I know that is a sign. I would take it to the vet immediately to get it checked out, sounds like something is up. GL hope its ok!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think he needs to be seem by a vet.

If the dog looks unthrifty. If no matter how much you feed them they still don't gain weight or they have a pot belly but no muscles. If they have rice looking things sticking to the hair around their anus. If you see worms in their poop. Possibly if they are breathing heavily and even coughing with exertion.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 1 treatment is never enough. You have to treat for 3 days to kill the adults and the eggs.

Go to the vet and get panacure brand wormer. It is broad spectrum, gets them all. The wormer from the store doesn't work very well at all.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It depends on what kind of worms they have.
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-1-2006-97997.asp
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'll make him a vet appt tomorrow :) I've never had a dog with worms and my mom was always the animal person when I was younger, but she's passed away so I cant ask her what to do and all that. He wasnt acting like he did the first time there was a problem so I didnt know if it could still be worms or not.
    misspriss_1987

Comment by misspriss_1987 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would take him to the Vet ASAP Some of the worms dogs can carry can infect humans as well so you could be putting yourself and your children at risk of coming in contact with worms. Get the dog tested, treated and then start some preventative medication

onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have a 10 month old lab. He has been on worm medicine since 8 weeks old. It is my understanding that that is what is recommended for them now days. You may also want to pay attention to where he sleeps. You may find traces there also.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You can just take a stool sample. It's much cheaper. Sometimes there are places like the humane society that have a clinic that's much cheaper. It can end up costing $200-$300 to take a do to the vet.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• yes puppies need to be wormed on a regular basis. i know that i always make sure that our puppies are wormed and i had a lady ask me what that was. i was shocked. you don't worm your pups. sometimes if it's left to long regular worming treatments aren't strong enough from the store. i hope he gets better. if your low on money ask on craigslist if anyone knows of any cheaper vets. i did and was told of a great place. i couldn't believe how reasonable they are and i'm always going to take my pets there for now on. i love it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010