How can i help my 10 year old ADHD son help himself?

I know he needs me! but I do have other obligations and sometimes he is clingy and needs alot of direction. He is extremly easily distracted and never has completed anything unless it has to do with reading. I have offered new books for chores or classes complete. I have threatened to take his books if not (this is the only thing that phases him) he isn't attached to anything but books so other things offered or threatened doesn't help. I know i am suppose to make him self responsible and reliable and an over all great citizen and adult but sometimes feel as if i am going backwards and will fail him. is there anything i can do to move him forward and help him help himself?

StephanAndCoral

Asked by StephanAndCoral at 10:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• have you tried talking to a behavioral therapist?? they might have some suggestions for you
    Moonwhispers

Answer by Moonwhispers at 10:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was going to talk with his dr the next appointment every one here needs referalls (sp?) and I just got him on state Medical because we lost medical when my husband lost his job in April.
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm in the same situation, with the addition of his interests being video games and anime. He follows me everywhere, talks nonstop about those things.... he has behavioral problems and anger mgt...currently in Special Ed at school. Its hard. I feel like the last 5 years or so has been just one big repetitive day with little progress in his development. He's 11 but acts like he about 8 yrs old in his reactions to things. Life is not only stressful but also very boring lately as I know today will just be the same as yesterday.

Problem with taking away his likes are that he now has nothing to do and gets obnoxious and even more in your face. At least the books and games keep him somewhat occupied. I dunno what to do either. We recently lost his therapist, but thats only so effective. U feel like my famed infinite patience is starting to reach its limits at last partly cuz I thought he'd have outgrown alot of this behavior by now
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• gl momma!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Do look into behavioral therapy, but keep trying to make him responsible for something, even if it's small. For example, my now 10 yo son with ADD wouldn't do anything for himself but read or play video games. We started (at age 8) with a chore and a checklist/chart. Everyday he had to clean up his room. He did it, and he'd get a star or check or whatever we decided. 5 stars = 20 extra minutes of video game time or 20 extra minutes staying up late on Friday or Saturday reading. His choice. The next year, we added a chore, everything else stayed the same. This year, we are up to 3 chores a day with the same reward and extra chores HE decides to do earns him quarters. Those combined have turned him into quite an independent kid.

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 11:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2010