Old dog sleep-poops... How to stop him?

Our old dog has been known to pass a little stool in his sleep when passing gas. It happens about 3 times a year. Not a big deal.

Well, he has done it every night for 8 nights.

He comes in at night after a nice long several hours outside free in the big fenced yard. He has had ample opportunity to poop. Feeding schedule has not changed. Food is the same. Water is the same.

I think he is lazy in his old age. Any ideas on how to get him to stop this?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 10:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Poor baby. Unfortunately, he might be becoming incontinent. I would check with the Vet to see if there is anything you can give him.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Def. go to the vet. When my husbands lab began doing this they found a huge cancerous mass in his intestines. Get him seen.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i would try walking him before bed. The dog whisperer said that dogs need to walk to poop and that roaming the yard is not always enough to stimulate the pooping. It won't hurt to take him around the block a time or two.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Don't think he is lazy. You might have to try doggie diapers.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 10:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would for sure take him to the vet. If he were my dog, that's what I would do for starters.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's just a tiny bit... The size of a peach pit. He is a lab Dane mix, so his poops are like a French baguette when he really poops. I'm thinking he might not feel it?
    ecodani

Comment by ecodani (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He is not lazy. Poor guy. If he is a big dog and over 10 he may be dying. When our dog was dying we put a very nice bed in a place he liked and let him be. When he started to be in pain we had him euthanized. He had cancer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's most likely just old age. When he is sleeping, he is totally relaxed..... Elderly people do it too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• you should take him to the vet so they can check him and make sure everything is ok with him once they get older they start having more and more problems
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't think he is lazy. It could be that he either doesn't know what is happening or he can't control it. It may be time for a visit to the vet. When my Golden was 16 and her health was deteriorating she began pooping as she walked down the hallway to be let out in the morning. She had no idea that she was doing it .
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010