When does having an opinion cross over into "judging"?

I always have a hard time deciding on this.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You're on Cafemom (and this only for lack of a better example, this has nothing to do with any specific person or interaction on here), and you see that a mother does something that you completely think is wrong for the child. You think that she's not fulfilling her roles as a parent, therefore, in your mind, she doesn't seem like a good mother.

Is that an opinion, or are you judging her?

You thinking what she did was not the best thing and you would have done it differently is an opinion.
    Stating or thinking she is an unfit parent or a bad mother because she did something differently from you is judging.
    Just going by the example you provided.
    Really the difference is when you think less of a person as a result of those differing opinions. (Or appear to think less of them by poor word choice when stating those opinions, in the case of cafemom)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Judging: assuming things without facts, or walking a mile in their shoes

Opinion: what works for me, how I FEEL about something
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When you say it in a manner that is insulting to others.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It is good to have opinions, but I think when you insist upon someone changing or doing something "your way" because of what you think is right or best is crossing the line between opinion and judgment.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't know, OP. I was actually thinking about this the other night. It seems there are a lot of posts on here that get bashed for being judgmental just because someone has a different opinion. That's why I stay out of a lot of the heated debates.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think MusicMom had a good answer.

Judging has a lot to do with giving your opinion and assuming it is right even though you have never walked a mile in those shoes. It is also assuming that you know things without facts.

I will no longer listen to Gossip if someone calls me to tell me something because it is wrong. You don't know the truth unless you were there. It's His story, her story and the truth.

Opinions are how we feel about something whether it be from how we were raised, our religion and morals, etc.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• But not to be confused with using judgement ;) if someone's home life is not the healthiest I probably wouldn't leave my kids with them. But I'd be nice about it. Not to be confused with judgemental or condemning!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• "These human conceptions of law can be quite distressing. The prospect of facing a judge ruled only by her own desires is not a desirable proposition. But we ought to be cautious in clamoring for the opposite, a judge ruled by absolutes, for absolutes make no space for mercy. Thus being under the judgment of an absolute law also has its terrors.

That is true both in the case of human law and in the case of divine law. It is terrifying to think of an absolute divine law. For who can bear the thought of absolute divine judgment dispensed by a merciless God?

Thank God, God is merciful. That is the wonder of the Gospel. Christ came to fulfill the law, and in doing so, to proclaim mercy. The Cross is the ultimate expression of these two laws. In it, God gives full vent to His awful absolute judgment, but not upon us, but upon Himself. That is His mercy."

Tired tonight and quoting. Sorry.
    continued next post.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Judging is holding someone else to your own standard, whether they believe in it or not. "I believe spanking is wrong" is an opinion. "You are abusive for spanking" is a judgment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes it is, but if you keep it to yourself, it doesn't hurt anybody but yourself.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010