I'm Desperate for help! Potty training a 3 yr old!

My daughter will be 3 in a couple months and she isn't potty trained yet. I have tried but she shows no interest in the potty. When we first started when she was 2 she was doing great for a month. Then she got sick and then started screaming bloody Mary anytime I try to place her on the potty, so I let it go for a few months. She sometimes tells me when she's poopy and that's about it. I did the 3 day potty training a few months ago and it didn't go over well. She would just pee on herself and not tell me anything and when I asked if she had to go potty, which was frequently, she always said no. I'm now getting help from the grandparents about her not being potty trained. "Well so and so was potty trained before they were 2 and blah blah blah." Plus I'm tired of changing two kids, lol. Any advise?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm in the same boat...but mine was 3 a couple months ago....people keep swearing by the candies...an m and m each time the go....that's my next attempt! GL! I'm changing 4 kids! ugh.....
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Nothing except for wait for her to want to because otherwise you are just going to be beating your head against a brick wall.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son was 3, and had NO INTEREST in the potty whatsoever. Finally, I just waited for him. Literally- I showed him one last time where the potty was (in the living room), told him what it was for, and let him go. No more reminders, no more bribing or trying. Within a month he was in underwear full time. He's 3 years, 7 months now and he only wears pull ups at night. (He's a heavy sleeper.) It worked for me, and my son is a strong-willed kid.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would wait for her to show interest. My son was 3 years and 2 months before he was ready. ONce he decided...he potty trained himself. Good luck
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i wish u luck
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My daughter, at 3, was still wearing diapers. Someone told me to decorate a box together and then fill it with incentives. Everytime she goes, she gets to pick out a gift. With my daughter, the potty fairy delivered a two day supply of gifts that she got to pick from. It worked for us and pretty much potty trained her younger sister at the same time (unintentionally too!). In the end we spent about the same in buying dollar store stuff and party favors, but she finally got the message and trained.

Oh, also, another suggestion: Someone told me that their son liked matchbox cars, so they took him to Target and picked out $25 in cars, together, wrapped them up and then did the incentive box. She said, it too a couple of day's but he started to do it.
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 11:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Here's how we approached it. We tried to put him on the potty once a day (right before his bath). If he sat, great. If he didn't, we tried again the next night. Eventually he would sit willingly and usually pee. Then we started training. The first day I put him on every 45 minutes. If he peed, we celebrated. If he didn't, we watied 10 m inutes and tried again. We tried every 10 minutes until he either peed or had an accident then we restarted the clock. After about 3 days he had the basic idea. We gradually increased the time between attempts. This was in May. He still won't tell me if he has to pee so we've continued to put him on regularly (although now it's more like every 2 hrs). As far as I can tell, it just seems to take some kids longer to learn the feeling of needing to pee. Until then, don't ask, just take as save yourself some laundry! Good luck! (and ignore the "so and so was trained by.." noise!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010