appropriate chores

for my 4 year old and 10 year old?

StephanAndCoral

Asked by StephanAndCoral at 10:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hmm... well my son is three and the only "chores" he has are to pick up his toys at night and put his own dishes in the sink after dinner. Pretty easy, but it makes him proud, and it's one more step to getting used to responsibility for one's own actions.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• thanks
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My 4yo cleans her own room, puts dirty laundry in the hamper, folds and puts away clean clothes, puts dirty dishes in the sink, unloads the dishwasher, wipes down counters after eating/making her lunch (yes, she makes her own lunch most days), sweeps (or tries to--she's not very good at it yet but she tries) and anything else that has to do with cleaning up after herself.
    My 10yo does everything the 4yo plus washes and dries her own laundry and is learning to clean the kids' bathroom. My 8 and 7 year olds have the same chores as the 10yo. The older 3 also take the trash out to the curb and all 4 help bring in groceries and help with the baby. They also help with yard work in the summer and helped shovel snow in the winter.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• thanks!
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 4 year old cleans his room, helps fold towels, and helps load the dishwasher/
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• thank you
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• at 3 and 4 mine clean their rooms and make beds, and at 10, your child should have a full chore schedual..JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 3 year old son (only child) puts his dishes in the sink and picks up his toys. If I had responsibilities as a child, he will too minus farm chores since we live in town.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 4 year old helps with her room and the living room. she helps me load the dryer and put clothes away, she helps sweep set and clear the table puts her laundry in the pile, bring in the trash cans from the curb. and anything else you ask she will try and do sometimes I have caught her trying to do dishes. My 10 year old son cleans his room, takes out and brings in the trash cans from and to curb, takes trash out to the bin, does dinner dishes, helps put away laundry but does know how do laundry start to finish, helps with livingroom and family room cleans after himself and will help with yard work wipe down counters and sweep helps with groceries and starting to learn how to cook. I was recently told that these are too many chores for them (told in front of my son) and have had a hard time getting him to do anything since. One of these people said it is child labor and will one day get turned in if i keep it up.
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 10 year old worked his way up to this it started at 2 helping put his diaper in the trash, clothes in the basket then at 3 help with his room, laundry in the basket, plates silverware and cups in the sink. at 4 all the above and added living room help (his toys always seemed to migrate) then help put laundry in rooms and help put away. and advanced from there.now that he is into (sort of) video games I have a system where if chores are done Sunday -Thursday and homework M-F and no notes from school he gets an hour and fifteen mins of electronic time either friday or saturday or can split it to both days he gains 15 mins a day m-f and extra for extra help. but recently he could care less if i offer him things or take things unless it has to do with books but I can't bring myself to take his books.
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010