flu shot?

I have always gotten my kids their flu shots and me mine ( i run in home daycare) but this year they are h1n1 mixed shots and my daughter had the h1n1 last year (it was horrible). I'm not sure how I feel on this and don't know if i should get it for them what would you do?

StephanAndCoral

Asked by StephanAndCoral at 10:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I do not get them, my hubby has to get them because of military but would rather not, and our children do not get them. I feel the shots only protect against certain strands of flu. And flus mutate. Plus I have no idea how those vaccines are going to affect my kids or myself down the road. We have no clue what is in anything they are shootingus up with. If I woudn't have to have all these vaccines put into my kids to be allowed to attend school, I wouldn't. They only get the shots that are required.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I wouldnt get it. The H1N1 is way to new for me to trust. You can't get them separate?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't vaccinate at all, so I can't give you a personal experience. But, from what I understand, there will be the option of just the flu or the option of the combo vax. I would say if you really want to get the flu vax, talk to your doctors about the flu vax w/o the h1n1 in it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I got the h1n1 shot and the regular flu shot last year. I would get the mixed version this year as long as my doctor approves it for me. My kids also had the h1n1 shot last year and they did not have any problems.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think that unless she had an allergic reaction to H1N1 last year I would go ahead and get it. She may be super sensitive to that strain of the flu and have serious compolications.

Ask your doctor. Above is just my opinion.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• She didn't get the shot last year because she had the H1N1 flu. but thank you I will ask her doctor at her next check up.
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We never get the the Flu shots and we skipped the h1n1 as well. My (2 year old) son got h1n1 and it really wasn't that bad. He was down for about 3 days. He just wanted to nurse, cuddle and watch movies. The vaccines aren't worth the risks in my opinion.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If your daughter had H1N1 then she is immuned from it for a life time. The flu shot is absolutely not effective, and the CDCs own reports have noted that the death rate from flu has increased with the increase of flu vaccine given. Plus, the vaccine is made with last years strain, and is not intended for this year's strain. There really is no reason for your daughter (or anyone) to get it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• that's what I was thinking thanks
    StephanAndCoral

Comment by StephanAndCoral (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We don't get them, and we don't plan to do so again this go 'round. There are safer, healthier ways to boost your immunity.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2010