Post Partum Depression...Please help!

How did you handle your PPD???? Meds? I'm SO afraid of losing a connection with my emotions if I were to go on meds, and the side affect that you can become suicidal scares me sooo much...
Has anyone done it holistically? *sp?*
I really feel there's a connection between the probs my husband and I have in our marriage to the depression i'm feeling now, post partum. It's all just made it worse. I just don't know what to do about it....
I'm tired all the time...no motivation to do anything....I have good days some days and other times bad days...but mostly bad. I'm having a hard time being affectionate with my husband as well....HELP!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 10:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Health

• zoloft works wonderfully
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I didn't take meds the first pregnancy. And did the second time around....and mine are about 14 months apart. So glad I took them the second time. It helped even out my crazy hormonal imbalance faster than anything else would have. I had no adverse reactions. Just took a low dose of zoloft, pretty common. Saved me a lot of my sanity!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I breast feed and encapsulated my placenta. It helps.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I had it with my first. The meds I was on made it worse. This time around I was put on meds during my whole pregnancy cause I was already depressed. i'm on prozac now and it works great
    Moonwhispers

Answer by Moonwhispers at 10:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• btw it's a matter of finding the right drug too
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Help how? PPD is self-limiting. It doesn't last forever. The majority of mothers that get it recover without treatment. Your feelings sound in normal for a mom with a young baby. You are sleep deprived and there is strain on your marriage. Don't let fear of side effects keep you from taking meds if that's what a professional recommends. Antidepressants don't make you lose connection with your feelings. At least they don't do that to me at all. I have to take them to prevent migraines. You can have feelings of suicide if you don't take antidepressants.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I understand that we are here to help eachother out but I'm pretty sure we aren't doctors here. None of us can just say here go try this drug since we don't know your history or what medication you can or can't take due to your history. Also there are other routes than drugs/meds to take. One is to talk to someone and try to get some of this off your chest, get your hubby to help you around the house and with the kids more, find more time just for yourself, and MAKE time for you and your hubby to be alone. You need to connect with yourself and with your husband. Remember that meds aren't always the answer to solve everything, not even for a quick answer, and we can't prescribe meds to you so if you really feel like you need meds then you need to go to your doctor who has your medical history and let him/her find the right med for you.
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010