tantrums

How do you punish your toddler for their tantrums?

Moonwhispers

Asked by Moonwhispers at 10:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't give them any more attention than it takes to put them in time out and to tell them why they're there. lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 15 years ago it was recommended that you attempt to completely ignore the tantrum all together. I know this can be hard and sometimes the timing of the tantrum really sucks. But it was explained to me that it is a sign of a child attempting to try and figure out how to show their frustration or anger. They are attempting to protest! I know things have changed over 15 years but my son only did this a few times. It didn't last long for him.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't think time-outs work for kids. Maybe for moms. Try to anticipate and avoid. Ignor if possible. If they don't work then kids figure out they may as well not have tantrums. Don't push kids into tantrums.

I have a strong willed 23 mo grandson. He likes just wearing a T shirt and diaper. He has eczema and shorts and shoes bother him. If you try and force him to get dressed at home you will meet a lot of resistance and maybe screaming and a tantrum but if you take shorts and shoes with you in the car he knows you have to get dressed before you go in somewhere to eat or in a store, ect. You can learn to work with the child. Give them little choices like let them pick from 2 shirts to wear.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• we stop giving our son attention in the process...the doc told us to make sure there is nothing around to harm him...and then simply work away...turn your attention somthing else...it hurt me at first to do this...but i stood my ground and it worked...i would tell my son to use his words ...no kicking & screaming!!!
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 11:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When my son gets in tantrum mode i tell him to go to his room and he does and he wont come out until he calms down
    MrsV.

Answer by MrsV. at 12:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The tantrums are sadly unavoidable and if they do happen just don't let it get to you. ...stay calm put the Child in time out when you are at home. Don't entertain the drama, they can sense that and it only prolongs the tantrum :)There is not much you can do ! If it does happen in a public place, what I did was, i hugged my kiddo and walked out the store or restaurant with him. showed him something that i knew would get his mind off the tantrum, like the cars in the parking lot or a bug on the floor. Usually it did not take long and he calmed down....we walked back into the store and i told him what a big boy he was for being so good....got my shopping out the way as fast as i could and left. I honestly tell you it was exhausting but you staying calm is half the battle.
    It will get better over time just hang in there :)
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2010