Baby's runny nose...possibly teething?

My ds (5 months) couldn't sleep last night because his poor little snot box just started flowing like crazy! he's been really grumpy today and his nose won't quit. i've been using his little blue bulb sucker thing, and wiping it with one of his soft burp clothes so his nose won't be so sore. is there anything else i can do for him? i'm pretty sure he's just teething, but i wish i could help relieve his snoty nose!

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my kids have always gotten runny noses when teething. I don't believe for a second that teething does not cause runny/stuffy noses.
    Keep doing what you're doing and add a cool mist humidifier. Also, try propping up the head of his matteress. We always used "Little Noses" brand saline drops and saline gel. Both found at walmart for just a few dollars. The drops helped to keep things moist and loosen it up. Use those about 5 mins before the "sucky thing" (that's what we always called it. lol) and the saline gel helps things on the outside. Keeps irratation down and helps at night especially to keep stuff from drying out and making it even harder to breath.
    He's too young for pretty much any medicine that might help. If you really think he needs something, you could ASK YOUR DR about Children's benedryl. My dr let me give my kids revised doses as young as 9 mons. But your LO might still me too young for that. Good luck!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• the vapor machines mine all got that when teething too
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 11:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i dont remember if mine did that when she started teething but i asked a question like this before & they said it could be one of the signs along with fever, mucusy looking poop, & of course fussiness.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• mine had mucousy poop and fussiness and a little fever but no runny nose but LOTS of drooling ok so shes still doing it but i change her and 10 min later shes SOAKED
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I never remember mine having runny noses except when they were sick. There is nothing you can give them anymore for a runny nose so just use your bulb syringe snot sucker and some saline drops.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The runny nose is not due to teething. It's a cold. If you can, try propping up one side of his crib, it might help him sleep better. And get a cool mist humidifier for his room.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Go to walmart and see if you can find baby vapor rub and rub it on him real good that always helped with my boys.
    shandi_001

Answer by shandi_001 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He has a cold. Teething doesn't cause a running nose. Try some saline solution (they sell it in the baby aisle at the drug store) and then use the bulb.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Doctors always say teething doesn't cause a runny nose but I don't believe it. Mine always got snotty when they were cutting their teethies. We use a humidifier and one of those little snot sucker bulbs- and tons of soft, soft, soft tissues!
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son seemed to get a runny nose when he teethed. After he was done teething, his nose was fine.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010