Learning to cook?

My DH has always done the cooking. I married him pretty much straight out of college without living on my own so I've never really learned to cook. Oh, I can do the basics like srambled eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, spaghetti, but I really want to start helping my hubby out in the kitchen. Where's a good place to start because every time I try I feel so overwhelmed!

(and yes, I'm seriously embarrassed to admit that I'm pushing 30 and can't do much in the kitchen. lol)

Journey311

Asked by Journey311 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Be positive. You know how to cook. You need a good basic cookbook like Joy of Cooking. If you can follow directions you can cook. You can find kids cookbook at used bookstores that explain how to do things and then when your kids are old enough you can use them to teach your kids to cook. Keep trying new things. Recipes on boxes are usually good like the lasagna recipe on the box and Oatmeal Scotchies on butterscotch chips.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I started by looking through cookbooks... see what looks good and then just follow the recipe.... after a while of doing that you'll feel more comfortable in the kitchen (also, watching cooking shows on food network can help you learn a lot of tips too)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am right there with you!
    I recently bought a crockpot and that will make you an instant cook lol.
    Just get it at walmart and go online for some easy recipes. The food cooks slower and tastes better.
    All you have to do is put all of the ingredients in the crockpot, set a timer, and come back when its done!
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 11:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Don't stress about it - my husband won't even let me in the kitchen, I have to beg to cook a meal :) Anyway, see if there's a cooking class offered by the adult and community education office in your area (usually through the schools) or a community college or cooking school. It is fun to cook, and you don't want to be stressed by it...
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When my oldest son was born I had no idea how to cook, my DH did most of it and we ate the same thing over and over. After a couple of months I decided that I needed to learn to cook. I bought cookbooks (basic ones like Betty Crocker......everything is in there) and cooked using recipes. After awhile I started learning what spices tasted good together and I stopped using my cookbooks. Now I love cooking, I can find things in my pantry that I never thought would go together and get a delicious meal out of it. It takes practice, patience and time. You will get the hang of it and after awhile you'll only need a recipe for baking!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Trying this again...I had 1.5 paragraphs typed then the electric went out and I lost it all! I call myself domestically-challenged because I started out not really knowing how to cook. For the first couple of years of our marriage, my husband would cook and we would eat out a lot. But then we started having little ones and we couldn't afford to eat out that much.

I would recommend starting with an all-in-one meal for a crockpot. Get a cut of meat ~ I like "pot roast" and put it in the crockpot with raw veggies such as potatoes, carrots, celery and a few spices (ie salt, pepper, etc). Slow cook it for about 6-8 hours and you have an entire meal that didn't take a whole lot of time to prepare but will be delicious. The crockpot is GREAT...get a recipe book and you can make all kinds of different things that don't take a lot of time.

We also have a roaster oven. It is excellent for ham, turkey, chicken, (CONT)....
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 12:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• (CONT)

country style ribs, etc. You can also put raw veggies in it with the meat & turn it to a low heat & cook for about 3-4 hours & it turns out well too. If you are in a time crunch, you can always put it at normal temp and it will be done in an hour or 2.

Another thing that is easy is baked chicken (legs, thighs). We pull the skin off, bake it until it is done and then put BBQ sauce on it and let it bake for another 10 minutes or so. You can also bake chicken with different 'coatings' and 'rubs' that you can get in the store as well.

Mashed potatoes are really easy too. We peel our potatoes but you don't have to, cut them in quarters and boil them until they are soft all the way through. Drain water. Add a little salt, butter & milk, mash them until creamy or you can leave lumpy ~ whichever you prefer. You can also add cheese for cheesy mashed potatoes.

The more you cook the more comfortable you will get!
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• amw529, DH doesn't let me in the kitchen either except to do dishes. LOL Every time I try to get in there to cook, he ends up shooing me out because I'm not doing something to his standard. He's such a perfectionist. He does leave me alone if I'm baking. That is one thing I can do without getting overwhelmed, but actually putting a meal together is not my forte. hehe
    Journey311

Comment by Journey311 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010