is 18 months too early

for a big boy bed, he didnt climb out of the crib and the only trouble i have with the bed is on the weekends he doesnt want to go cause dad is home other than that its not a problem

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 11:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on the child. My eldest cried bloody murder at 14 months everytime I put him in his crib. Bed time was horrible and I was 5 months pregnant. He wouldn't sleep so I wouldn't sleep. I converted the crib to a toddler bed. The screaming stopped and I started to get some sleep. Although, he did roll out twice, but I covered the floor with blankets and pillows. Now he's 3 and in a twin bed. My 15 month old is still in his crib and has no issues. He'll stay in the crib until he's too big, he climbs out, or he gets fussy about it, whichever comes first. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    TJandACsMom

Answer by TJandACsMom at 11:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I dont' see why not. I plan to keep mine in his crib though for as long as possible, he's the same age, he'd be out of his bed constantly if he weren't and I'm not ready for that. lol.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You need to make sure he can't get trapped between the mattress and the wall.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thats perfectly fine. The toddler bed I bought the box said recommended age was 15m. My daughter was never climbing out or anything either I just wanted to get her out of the crib so I could get her use to the toddler bed bc I needed it for the baby that was coming. My son started using a mattress on the floor earlier then that because him and my daughter shared a room and he was "jelouse" so to say and started to try to climb out at night time, during naps they would sleep together, so I just made it an all the time thing.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If you don't mind putting him back to bed a million times, then its probably fine. I won't be moving my 18 month old anytime soon because at the end of the day I don't have the patience for playing "put the baby back in the bed". =P He'll stay in his crib until probably around 2.5 years
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If he is doing fine..no problems.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• nah, if he's doing well then its fine... is there a guard to keep him from rolling off?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• no he stays in the center and its just a matress and box spring on the floor
    navywifemomkoch

Comment by navywifemomkoch (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son never actually slept in a crib! He went straight from his bassenette (?) To his toddler bed. I have never had a problem of him falling out or getting stuck in between the wall and the bed. It really just matters how comfortable you are. Every baby is different and it really just means rolling with what they feel ok with.
    starlit_kissez

Answer by starlit_kissez at 12:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• nope. We moved Chubs to a toddler bed at 15m because he could get out of his crib.
    fireflymcl

Answer by fireflymcl at 1:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2010