3 months ago i was told that my daughter of a 14 month is delay developer. She does not walk nor sit straight. I do see that she has improved but because she is a delay she is going to have physical therapy. I having a hard time accepting that she has a problem, i feel that i have fail as a first time mother. What advice can you guys suggest.

how should i dealing with a child that is delay developer and is going to get physical therapy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you should feel like a failure at all some kids just develop differantly. Because she was delayed at that dosen't really mean she will be at other things. I would just take her to the therapy and by happy to have her in our life everything will work out.
    thats also what they told m friend about her daughter when she wouldn't crawl and after a few classes she crawled for like a week then was walking by 10 months so try not to worry about so much and don't put yourself down
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Be happy that she is capable of improvement. It is not your fault.. Take her to the therapy, do the things that they teach you, and be proud of her every accomplishment regardless of when she achieves it.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• all kids develop differently. As far as your child not walking at 14 months it is not something to really worry about. I don't even know why your doctor brought it up. How old is she now? If your child is not walking by 18months that is when you need to get her in. You can look it up on Web MD. It will talk about children not walking until 18 months. What will be done if they are not walking at 18 months. Don't pay attention to what it says could be wrong. Let the doctor decide on that one.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Take advantage of the physical therapy. That your child has some delays is not anyones fault as long as you keep stimulating her and helping her improve things will be alright. Failure would be not doing what your child needs. A great mother, feels bad and then goes ahead and digs in and does what is needed to help her child develop to their greatest potential.
    Good luck, momma. Hope all goes well.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my son has adhd and he's my oldest i know it's hard not to blame yourself but you can't being a first time mom is hard with out problems i'm a 5 time mom and i still have a hardtime. the docs are working with her so just chin up and hope for the best she may have a problem but i bet she makes you smile.
    jennifer181

Answer by jennifer181 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• All of my 4 boys were 12 mo before they walked. I wouldn't worry. Do use a walker? Just wondering cause that prevents babies hip joints from developing the motion range they need for walking and thigh muscles from strengthing. The floor is the best place for baby to learn to walk. Don't worry it will happen when she's ready and instead of walking she'll be running circles creating trouble around the house.
    vabta

Answer by vabta at 11:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• This is about her, not you. We don't "teach" sitting, or walking, it is developmental. No need to feel like a failure in the least. Be happy help is available for her.
    IdaKaye

Answer by IdaKaye at 12:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Don't be so hard on yourself! Every child develops at their own given time. Spend time with her and play with her and she will develop when she is ready. My son was just recommended by my doctor for speech therapy and he is 18 months old. I honestly didnt think he had a problem but I am still attending. As parents we mine as well find out preventative measures to help our children. There is no manual for parenting, we try to be the best we can be and thats all we can do. Your baby will be fine and just appreciate her and your efforts thus far.
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have 3 children and my last one needed therapy she was behind she started walking at 14 months 4months after therapy sometimes they just need a little bust of confidence that she can do it.If you are willing to give her the help she need than you are a great mommy.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 10:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• don't give up on her, and keep faith that she will do things in her own time, when she is ready. take deep breaths and give her lots of hugs and kisses love and attention.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2008