My 2 yr old doesn't talk much...Should I be concerned?

My little boy turned 2 in August. He's says some words but not a lot. I worry because my 4 yr old talked in phrases by his 2nd birthday. I'm not sure what to do because he understands everything. You tell him to gp get something and he does it. My doc said to call if he isn't talking in phrases in 6 months to bring him in.
What do you all think

dreamsicle5635

Asked by dreamsicle5635 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start sitting him down and making him say things like if he wants a drink he has to say drink please, work with him on that, your doctor may put him into speech therapy to get him to start talking.
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son didnt really talk alot till he was about 3 1/2 but my dd was talking in phrases by the time she was 2 I just think it depends on the child they are all different I dont think you should be too concerned right now if it still bothers you ask your dr.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My daughter doesn't talk much now and will be two in a few weeks. The doc says that she understands well, just is being lazy. She uses gestures alot to make her point. Our doc said just try and encourage her by repeating words to her, reading to her etc., The doc also said it is common with kids with older siblings to talk later because the sibling often does things for them. could this be the case. But also, everychild is different. Heed the doc, if your child isn't using phrases by two and a half, take him in, hope all goes well!!
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 9:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• hi there if you read to your child and you practice his words with him he'll start talking up a storm in no time use words that he knows and add 2 new ones eah day phrases are easy to teach to when your doing somthing let him help and talk to him while your doing it. he'll cautch on fast.
    jennifer181

Answer by jennifer181 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

•                    If u are working with your son on a everyday basic than I would be worried if not so much than just give him time.My daughter is 15months old and she has been talking sense she was 9 months old and started sentences at 12 months old but she only just started to walk at 14months old she is well advanced in her verbal and had eye coronation but she is 6months behind in her motion well being.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 10:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• ALL kids work at their own learning level some need more help than others but 9 times out of 10 they all end up where the belong.

times3mom

Answer by times3mom at 10:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• generally children have a language explosion between their second and third birthday, so give him some time. every child is different and as of right now there is nothing wrong with him not speaking much
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 9:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008