• In the Spotlight:

"Mom I'm bored!!!"

Ok so i have been trying really hard to teach my dd things that i think she should know at her age..she is four so i am trying to start teaching her my phone number and just some basic things i think she should know at her age but she either freaks out and says she can't do it (she gets frustrated easily) or she says she doesn't want to do it because she is bored...I have tried making it into a game or giving rewards for trying. I DO NOT want to push her but, I think she is at the right age to start this stuff...what do you think? Is she old enough and HOW do i do it?

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• how old is she?
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 11:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• maybe lay off for a couple of weeks... then try again. Kids can pick up that you're trying too hard. Something you can do during that time that you're taking a break is try to come up with a song (like the ABC's) that make it more fun for her to learn. She might be more willing to do something creative, like make a picture or sing a song, or make a sculpture. She may not do well with the drilling (even games can do that), and don't try to hard.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I teach my daughter to remember things by singing them to her. I am not the worlds greatest singer but she seems to remember them alot better. I do it in silly ways like we taught her the abc song while she was washing her hands and now she sings them everytime she washes her hands(you should see some of the looks i get in public restrooms or the the women who come out giggling because of it). I taught her 1-10 by singing the little indian song. i haven't figured out yet how to teach her the phone # then again we just moved and i havent even memorized it yet lol
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 12:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I give my 5 yr old my cell phone and have him dial the house number...I also have the security code for the DVR set to the last 4 digits of the house phone so he remembers it. He does get bored easy so i have to do things a certain way to get him to learn what he needs to. like if he wants computer time he has to spell his name and do it well not goofy or sloppy because he wants to rush it. and when we read books I show him how to sound out words but when he was four he could read sight words off the guide on TV so I would go along and highlite shows and have him read them then ask him what letter does that word start with and end with. I also use m&m's to do math and if he gets it right he gets the candy and while he eats the candy I ask him the mth problems over again to see if they stuck in his head. so if he see's 2 plus 2 equal 4 then he should be able to retain the problem and answer in his head, KWIM?
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• how old is she?

She is 4
    momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 4 year old dosen't seem to have much interest in learning those same things. I just back off and wait for the right opportunities to teach that stuff to her. Sooner or later, it will come.
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 12:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010