Question about having abortion for babies that are for sure not healthy??? not a drama post!!

I was just wondering what people think about someone having an abortion for babies with disabilities. do you think its ok or not. If you knew that for sure your baby would be severly disabled would you let him/or her be born and have to live like that or not?? I dont know what I would do.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 11:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• yes i would let him be born, even if the drs told me that he would not survive but a few min after birth, i would want him to die naturally instead of me taking his life.... plus what if the drs were wrong and nothing was wrong with your baby? thats just my opinion tho
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 11:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There is no for sure not healthy. The doctors at best can give a good guess of what they think after looking at anything. My friend was told to abort her baby, that he would most likely die before he had the chance to be born anyway. She refused. He was born, alive. The doctors said he wouldn't live any more than a week. He lived 9 months. My friend cannot imagine not have had having him here for that nine months.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think it depend on the extent of the disability. If you knew for a fact that the child would die with in moments of birth.... some might want to make that choice.

But if it is for something that you view as an inconvenience... let me ask you this:

If you knew that your healthy beautiful baby boy would be born with and above average intelligence but fall into drugs while in high school bankrupting the family and then killing someone while he drove under the influence... would you abort?

THAT seems like more of a heart ache... as well as a menace to society than a child who has down syndrome.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't. I actually declined the Triple-Screen test when I was pregnant with my son, because I KNEW I'd have him no matter what.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Knowing lots of people who have disabilities, I would say no, I would not personally abort a child. Always keep in mind that medical professionals are often wrong. I have a child with autism and muscular dystrophy, if I had aborted him I would have missed out on a wonderful human being. Everyone is different though, I can't speak for all, but I wish more people would come to know how very strong the so called disabled are.
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 12:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i would have her/him if it wasnt meant to be the pregnancy will abort itself without the help of unatural abortion
    HippieHolly

Answer by HippieHolly at 12:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Click on the link below ....

http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/mediaroom/solano-prison

This is a short 7 minute video on a website about a man who was born without arms and legs. Watch this man, and tell me that he might have been better off being aborted because he has a disability. You never know what God has planned for you and your children, regardless of their weaknesses.

I would NEVER abort a baby that is disabled.

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would have the baby regardless. God wouldn't have allowed conception if He didn't want the baby to be born. If you abort an unborn baby because of disabilities that's like saying to all the mothers with special needs kids that they don't belong here because they are different. Would you want yourself killed if you were a kid with special needs? Children are blessings, never mistakes or accidents. God knows what He's doing.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would not terminate a pregnancy because of a disability. My mom's bf's ex wife got pregnant by her new husband with a baby girl. She found out that the baby had Down Syndrome, and had her killed. She was so far along that they had to take the baby's picture and she had to name her so that they could make a death certificate for her. This was years ago, and it still breaks my heart to think about it. I couldn't look at myself the same way if I even considered it, let alone go through with it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would have an abortion. I have 3 children with genetic diseases. Having disabled kids often means the loss of your marriage and home and living in poverty. Spending years at the children's hospital I saw it happen to so many families. Now that we know we have bad genes my 30 yo has had a vasectomy and my 22 yo is scheduled to have one. My 27 yo has one son that has the disease and they aren't planning on having more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2010