next monday my daughter whose 10 will be entering in middle school.

she has adhd, very impulsive, the need to win all the time is powerful, she also has odd & apraxia of speech. new school, no friends, IEP has been set up. she can be annoying on purpose. I dread this something bad. any body else have this to look forward to?

ANGEL570

Asked by ANGEL570 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in

• 10 years olds goto middle school now? good gravy I do not understand what schools are doing these days.....

my son is speech delayed and starts school in about 9 days. we're nervous.... very nervous. and he's on alot of steroids for his severe asthma and they make him aggressive...... did I mention we're very nervous? good luck, momma and take it day by day
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• 10 is very early. I started at 12 and I was one of the younger ones, as my birthday is in July! GL! Here is a bump!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 10yo is starting 5th grade (middle school starts next year) but at a new school this year. She has major behavior issues and serious social anxiety. I'm dreading the first day. She is going to throw a major fit and make herself sick because of her anxiety. Not sure how this year will go. Last year she was at a small Catholic school and refused to do homework, wouldn't bring it home, lied about having any and just generally didn't care about it since the teachers always gave her extra chances to make it up or gave her extra credit to make up for low grades. She was also late all the time since the school wasn't real diligent about marking kids tardy.
    This year she is going to a big public school (their old school had 250 kids in PK-8 with 1 classroom per grade, new school has like 500 kids in K-5 with 4 classrooms per grade).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• wow, ten is really early. My son will be 11 when he starts 6th grade and turning 12 shortly after. I would just work as closely as you can with teachers and do everything you can to help your child succeed and feel supported. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Your best recourse is to explain all of these behaviors to your daughter's teachers, and how YOU handle them at home! Also make it clear to the teacher and administrators that your daughter needs to be accountable for her behaviors just like any other student, and that you want to know what goes on each day--good, bad, or indifferent! Make it clear that your daughter does not get preferential treatment, she cannot try to get out of things, she may not bully, have temper tantrums or cry her way out of things--tell them she can be sent to the principal's office, and her disruptions of "escape" attempts will not be tolerated!

Ask the teacher (with your input) to come up with a daily behavior report card, that she fills out and you sign off on EVERY day! It can also be used as a communication tool for you to inform the teacher of difficulties at home--such her not completing her homework or assignments, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My soon to be 10 y/o (Oct. 19) has just started 3rd grade. She has learning disabilities, add, speech problems.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• wow, sorry.. that sucks
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010