Why do women keep their married name...

...after they divorce? Is it for legal purposes or what? Why not go back to your maiden name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• it cost's money to change it back, at that point they're already known by that name. they'd have to get a new license, new credit card(s), change all account information on every account you have. it's just easier to keep the married name
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sometimes they do it to make it easier on the kids so that they can all have the same last name. Other times it's because they forget to make sure the divorce decree states that they are to go back to their maiden name. If it doesn't state it, they can't legally change it back. Another possibility I can think of is that maybe they're psychotic lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• For some it's the reasons mentioned - time, cost, effort to change it back, keeping the same last name as children. I know a woman who kept her married name because her maiden name wasn't great. It was Fagg and she took a lot of teasing about it - her parents even got prank calls just because of their last name. I wouldn't change back to that either.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've known a divorcĂ©e who kept her married name for her child she had primary custody of.

I would find it hard to go back to my maiden name after being married almost 16 years. Be a hard habit to break calling myself a new name, lol. I worked with a lady who picked a brand new last name after her divorce.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It does cost money plus it is nice to have the same last name as the kids...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Actually I had a friend who kept her married name , then had a baby by another man, was on welfare and they went after her ex, the state insisted he must be the father since his last name was on the certificate and she listed the dad as unknown and gave the baby her last name..., and the state demanded child support from the ex! it was a huge mess! but it did work out and he didn't have to pay for his ex wife's kid
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If I divorced my husband I would keep his name. Why? So it would be the same as the kids for one. Also, my maiden name is Italian and l o n g. I was so happy to be rid of it! Also, I wouldn't want the hassle of changing everything back all over again. The last name I have now is very short and very simple - I'm keeping it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• After 16y yrs of marriage my mom said what is the point of going through so much to change her name back? all her credit cards and bank stuff it is just too much.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I reverted back to my maiden name after I divorced from my first husband. I still have not changed it. There's too much involved as far as paperwork goes and all of that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• sometimes they do it for the kids. So the kids will have the same last name,
    renijazzysmom

Answer by renijazzysmom at 4:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010