What would you do?

School is starting and I have been unable to get the school supplies they need or even fall clothes. My income is limited and what I get goes to rent, electricity, etc. What can I do? I feel like a failure when it comes to my kids.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honey NEVER feel like a failure! You are doing the best you can and that's all that matters. Try talking with your electric company and setting up a payment plan. Items like paper, note books, and back packs are still on sale. When it comes to pens and pencils look around the house. Be creative. Sales are about to hit the stores. USE COUPONS! Check the paper or the web sites. Most have special deals you can only get online. I hope this helps. Cheer up the though times don't last forever.
    starlit_kissez

Answer by starlit_kissez at 1:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Can grandparents help out? Talk to the school about the supplies and see if they can help. Maybe there are extra supplies that another parent purchased for situations like yours. Try Goodwill or some other consignment store for clothes. Maybe get another job or sell some items.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Schools here have supplies and backpacks for low income families. You could check into that. Good luck momma...sending happy thoughts for better times your way.:)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would sell some things I already own on Craigslist or e-bay. I would then buy their school supplies and even buy their clothes from kids resale shops if I had to. I'm sure there are also programs to help kids get school supplies, but it depends on where you live. Their are also places to help with clothing. I hope it all works out for you, and just because you don't have money right now doesn't mean you're a failure with your kids!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• There are also*
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• For school supplies check office depot and staples, they both have really cheap back to school sales. You can also check with your local ministerial alliance our church has monthly clothing give aways and we also give out school supplies in August. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The school social worker. They can point you in the right direction to get clothes and stuff. Our schools have taken some donated supplies for kids who need them. I'm pretty sure the school can help you obtain supplies as well. Contact a state social worker too because I know they can help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• wow, that stinks, and fall/school shopping is so exciting for me at least! I think you should talk to the school, and your local church...GL!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2010