Help with "baby shower" invitation wording...please.

I'm due in October with our son. My parents are hosting a "Welcome Baby Jaxson" get together for our family shortly after the arrival of our little guy. So it's more of a meet and greet than an actual shower. I'm designing the invitations but I cannot find the right words to invite our guest. And I know our family and friends will want to bring a gift. We'll of course have everything we "need" already, and I would prefer gift cards but I don't want the invite to sound as if they have to bring something or as if gift cards are the only option, lol. Any suggestions?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 1:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• OKay here's what you do. Don't but inviations that say"Baby shower" On them. Make your own. It should say something on the front to the effect of"Come celebrate the homecoming of our Baby!" or "come celebrate the arrival of our baby!" Then if you've registered anywhere, indicate on the invitation that there are a few items that are still needed or that that if they wish to get a gift card to Babies "R" Us, Walmart, Target, etc that the mother of the baby would be much appreciative!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• as far as the gifts.... why dont you register at some store and just put all gift cards on there? Everyone sends out shower invites saying where they are registered so why cant you send out a meet and greet with it? One thing is always fun... write on the invites that everyone that brings a package of diapers or wipes (which we can always use more of) gets entered into a drawing and have some really big gift basket full of cool goodies for the winner.... that way you arent saying they have to bring a gift but giving them info on it and giving them a chance to win something in return! Good luck! I have two babies that were born in october... kids are amazing! Congrats!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well, as I recall my Emily Post, you're not supposed to mention gifts in invitations. The invitations themselves can simply ask people to help you welcome Baby home. Keep it simple.. and since it's your parents throwing it, "Grandma and Grandpa Jones invite you to help us welcome Junior to the family! Time, date place."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• come meet the new baby in town
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• most people bring gift receipts with gifts so you can always exchange then if someone asks your mom or something what you need she could recommend the gift card... most people who bring gifts want to make sure its something you want or need
    JHjelle827

Answer by JHjelle827 at 2:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2010