Can I use Shortening instead of butter for cookies?

I wanna make Raisin Oatmeal Cookies, but i'm low on butter. Trying to stretch the little I have left until Wednesday. I have a lot of shortening..so could I use that instead? I have everything else..lol.

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 1:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Make sure you add some salt if you use the shortening. The flavor won't be quite the same without the butter but they will hold their shape and not spread as much during baking.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• you can but they won't spread when baking like they do with butter. Butter has water in it which causes the spreading while baking.

so if it's the drop cookies type, then just flatten them out before baking
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yep. You might want to Google it or look it up in the cookbook though on the conversion but yeah my grandmother used it all the time for cookies. I've even used low far margarine and didn't taste a difference.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• What DarkFaery said is true...so go ahead and make the cookies and enjoy!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yup but i wouldnt use as much as you would use of butter
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sounds good. I once made cookies with pancake mix bc I was out of flour and didn't know it til all the other ingredients were together lol they turned out good :) alittle flat lol but good.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• DH has always used shortening in his oatmeal cookies, they're even better than mine and that's saying something :-)
    Or you could substitute peanut butter for the butter you're lacking - I made chocolate chunk cookies yesterday and was 1/2 c. short of butter, so I threw in the peanut butter. They must have been good, because I didn't get any by the time dh and kids found them ..
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I always use half butter, half shortening in cookies - they rise up nice and have a great taste. I wouldn't do all shortening, IMO cookies made like that taste off.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Butter flavor crisco is a great substitute for butter
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010