Do your walls tick?

Sometimes at night when its really quiet I hear my walls tick like a clock. Sometimes it speeds up & slows down. I heard it in the house I grew up in & I hear it in the place I live in now. I'm not they one who has heard it, but not everyone who has slept here has heard it (make sense?). There are a few other instances that have to do with it, but you get the idea...
Has anyone else heard anything like this before? I know I'm not crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Just for Fun

• no... LOL sorry :( but i tend to hear banging aaround like 2 o clock every night... kinda creepy....
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yeah, I know what you're talking about. My grandmother's house did that and when I asked her about it she said it was the house "settling". Not sure what that means, but that's what she said. I think it has something to do with temperature changing. Some things expand in the warm temps and constrict in colder temps. At night when it gets colder the house will slightly constrict: hence the weird noises. Now I'm not a science whiz so I may be completely off-base here, but that's just my guess!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I've never had that, BUT...I have felt...at night when I'm sleeping, I'll feel like someone is sitting on the edge of the mattress and lightly bouncing up and down! Not just this house either! And not just my bed! And I know I wasn't sleping because on one occasion I woke up and asked my husbad if he felt it. he didn't of course, but it continued!
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The "I'm not crazy" statement just reminded me of Scary Movie where Cindy says "I'm not crazy." Then runs like a maniac screaming "AHHHHHH" LOL But I know the sound:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2008